2017/18 Foundation Apprenticeship Programmes
| Course ||SCQF Level|| Duration|| Campus|
|Civil Engineering||6||2 years||Granton|
|Creative and Digital Media||6||2 years ||Milton Road|
|Financial Services||6||2 years||Sighthill|
|Food and Drink Operations||6||2 years||Milton Road|
|IT Software Development||6||2 years||Midlothian or Milton Road (subject to demand)|
|Scientific Technologies||6||2 years||Sighthill|
Download a Prospectus for further information
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for a Foundation Apprenticeship course please contact your school guidance teacher. They will support you through the online application process.
Applicants will be asked to attend an interview at the college prior to starting the course.
- Foundation Apprenticeships allow pupils to gain valuable real‑world work experience and gain additional industry-recognised qualifications whilst still at school
- You will develop the skills employers are looking for and build your confidence too
- Pupil travel to college/work placement is funded
WHO IS IT FOR?
Pupils who are capable of studying at level 6 (equivalent to higher) in a vocational setting*.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
This is a 2-year study programme. In year 1 you will attend college 2 half days a week while you are still at school and in year 2 you will do an external work placement with an employer.
Study patterns will vary but will typically involve:
- S5 - College for eight hours per week (Tues and Thus afternoons) completing the National Progression Award (NPA)/ or National Certificate (NC)
- S6 - college for eight hours per week (Tues and Thu afternoons) plus Friday afternoons if appropriate, completing the NPA and background knowledge for SVQ Units
- Two weeks’ work placement during each month of June, plus one week in October of S6 and another week in February of S6
- Work visits, visiting lecturers, employer challenge projects etc. taking place in both years
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS WILL I GAIN?
Foundation Apprenticeships involve the following elements:
- A National Progression Award (NPA) or National Certificate at level 6
- Either a whole or partial SVQ at level 6
- An extended work placement
The NPA/NC and SVQ are taken from a related Modern Apprenticeship, meaning that if a pupil goes on to complete the MA, they have a head-start and can complete the programme more quickly than other applicants.
Any pupil leaving before the end of the programme will receive accreditation for any qualifications/units completed to date.
Foundation Apprenticeships are currently recognised by Edinburgh University, Heriot-Watt University, Queen Margaret University, University of the Highlands and Islands, Robert Gordon University, Abertay University, Aberdeen University, Dundee University, University of Strathclyde and University of Glasgow for entry (with some exceptions) to degree programmes on the same basis as Highers*.
*Similar arrangements with other universities are in development.