Brexit Guidance
In June 2016 the UK voted in favour of leaving the European Union and left on Friday 31 January 2020 under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement.

The UK is now in a transition period until 31 December 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period. New rules will take effect on January 2021. 

The impact of Brexit on colleges
Leaving the EU poses significant challenges for the College, our staff and current and prospective students.

EU, EEA or Swiss citizens are still able to live, work and study in Scotland until the end of any Transition Period via Free Movement. In addition, a new UK immigration system may come into practice.

Leaving the EU creates uncertainty around the rights for EU citizens living, working and studying in the UK and you may have important questions about what this means for you.

The Scottish Government and agencies have published a range of information to support individuals and businesses to prepare for the UK leaving the EU with or without a deal.

We will keep the information on this page as current as possible to help you keep up to date with the latest information on how Brexit might impact students.

Useful information for students
The impact of Brexit on college and university education, including staff and students, is expected to be significant but the full details are not yet known.

The Scottish Government has published the below information to help EU students studying in Scotland.

Please visit the Mygov website regularly for updated information on:
  • EU student fees
  • the status of EU staff and students in Scotland's colleges and universities
  • Horizon 2020 and Horizon Europe research and innovation programmes
  • Erasmus+
  • European Territorial Cooperation
EU students studying in Scotland (or planning to)
The EU Settlement Scheme
If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.
  • The EU Settlement Scheme is open. You can apply now if you meet the criteria.
  • The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.
  • Which status you get may depend on when you apply.
You will need to be living in the UK before it leaves the EU to apply. The deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.

More information on applying for the scheme is available on the website

Tuition fees
The Scottish Government has announced free tuition for eligible students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland who choose to start studying in Scotland in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years. For more information visit the SAAS website.

Update: Scottish Ministers have agreed that the current EU fees and funding guarantee will also cover EU (and associated students) who commence a HE course under the current guarantee and articulate to another HE course immediately thereafter. 

We will provide updated information on the fee status of EU/EEA nationals beginning their studies in 2021-22 once a decision has been announced by the Scottish Government. 

Scottish or EU students on an Erasmus exchange trip (or planning to go on one)
The Withdrawal Agreement confirms that colleges and universities will continue to be able to participate in the current Erasmus+ programme until its end date in December 2020 and that there will be no change in UK-EU immigration rules until 1 January 2021.

After 2020, the UK’s future participation in Erasmus+ will depend on the outcome of negotiations during the transition period. 

For more information see the UK Government's guidance on studying in the European Union after Brexit and
information from the European Commission.

Edinburgh College Summer School 
Edinburgh College welcomes students from all EU and non-EU countries to study with us on Summer School 2020.

EU and EEA nationals will not require a visa to study on short courses such as our Summer School during 2020. You will be able to use your passport or government-issued Identity Card to travel to Edinburgh for Summer School.

If you are from a non-EU country, find out if you need to apply for a visa to enter the UK (

More useful links for students:

Information correct as of 11 March 2020

For further information please contact the College t: 0131 669 4400 | Terms of use and disclaimer
Text Size + - Background Colour Text Colour
Inverted Grey Simple Soft Red Blue Green Yellow Violet Default
Black Grey White Soft Red Blue Green Yellow Violet Default