3D Animation is a diverse, immersive and forward-thinking course designed to develop your creative potential. You will exercise your skills in 3D Animation through bespoke lessons in design and architecture including; 3D fly-throughs, modelling and animating 3D characters for short films.
Discover dynamic skills in 3D character models as you work in art studios and Mac laboratories dedicated to the animation sector. You will be introduced to state-of-the-art software used in the industry and learn how to use it in order to build environments for computer games as well as have access to a green-screen room. This knowledge in industry software is essential to your success in this modern and ever-evolving industry. This course will give you an in-depth understanding of 3D computer animation. Upon completion you will have the qualifications needed to progress on to further study at a university level. HND students will have the opportunity to exhibit their work in prestigious galleries for the general public, industry professionals and future colleagues to view.
- Maya 2012
- 3D Studio Max 2012
- Softimage 2012
- MotionBuilder 2012
- Mudbox 2012
- Smith Micro Poser 2010
- Adobe Photoshop
- Year one: Minimum of two Highers or UAL Level 2/3 or Foundation Diploma or SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year two: Pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level
- You must submit a portfolio that demonstrates your advanced art and design skills and an understanding of the creative process
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- This a practical studio-based course where your work is assessed by portfolio submission throughout the year
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to attend an interview with a portfolio of their own art and design work
Progression And Articulation Routes
Recognised entry to second and third year Scottish 4 year
Degree, for example
- ECA Second-year entry
- Grays School of Art
- Napier and Abertay
- Recognised second-year entry to R.U.K 3 year Degrees
Download our progression route map here
- Successful students have progressed as freelance designers in the creative industries
Course Cost And Funding Options
HND 3D Animation student Ben Gregg tells us of his creative process and experiences at Edinburgh College school of art.
“Animation was one of my biggest hobbies ever since making stop-motion animated shorts at a young age hence why I jumped on board the Edinburgh College 3D Animation course. I’m always keen to learn new things and sure enough I have more knowledge about animation development and production, experience in software I’ve never used before, improved my drawing and sketching abilities and, on top of all that, I’ve built up a new portfolio that’s more impressive than the one I used to get into this course.
As for my future, I have received two course opportunities from Abertay University which will allow me to aim towards working in the games industry and, hopefully, let me chase my dream job of becoming a game designer.”