BA Professional Photography is a unique degree level course
designed to test and develop skills in contemporary and commissioned photography.
Push your creative potential as you immerse yourself in the art of professional
photography and learn the wealth of skills needed to enter this fast-paced
and competitive industry. This course is unique in Scotland as it is
accredited by the British Institute of Professional Photography (BIPP) as well
as endorsed by the Association of Photographers.
You will be taught by highly qualified and experienced
lecturers in state-of-the-art Edinburgh College photography studios using a mix
of analogue and high-end digital formats. These will include; green-screen
rooms, an infinity wall, dark rooms and a drive-in facility suitable for
shooting vehicles, advertising and fashion. There is an equipment store
containing a large range of industry standard equipment available for loan
including top-of-the-range cameras, lenses and tripods. You will receive guest
lectures from the best in the business and opportunities for work experience
will be made available. Here you will make essential industry connections for your
Our ethos is to combine creativity and technical excellence
to achieve success in an ever-changing industry. This course is benchmarked by
the achievements of our graduates, many of whom are multi-award winners in
national and international photography competitions. Some of our most
successful graduates work with world-renowned photographers all over the world.
Most of our graduates become employed, self-employed or progress on to
- Major Project
- Photographic Practice
- Professional Set Projects
- Photography Business Strategy
- Creative Collaboration Project
- Critical Studies
- HND Photography with an A or B pass in Graded Unit 2 or an international equivalent
- A portfolio of work
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- This course is assessed by continual assessment through set course modules
- You will undertake a range of practical assignment briefs and concentrate on developing a body of work that will showcase your creative and technical skills
- Contribution to individual tutorials, group tutorials and seminars
- A final developed portfolio of work, written essays and reports
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will attend an interview and bring along a strong portfolio of 25 pieces of photography work
Progression And Articulation Routes
- BA Honours at a variety of universities
- Further study at postgraduate level
Download our progression route map here
Freelance employment in:
- Corporate photojournalism
- Image editing
- Social and wedding
- Picture editing
Course Cost And Funding Options
Edinburgh College Photography students and alumni captured the imagination of the judges at the country’s top competition for young photographers, winning 18 awards in total.
Marta Drozdz, a BA student at the college’s Sighthill Campus, won the big prize of Student Photographer of the Year for a portfolio of work put together throughout her time at the college. She also won the Gold and Bronze Awards in the Fashion category.
Marta said: “It is the highest accolade a photography student could ever hope to achieve so it’s an incredible honour. There are so many talented photographers on my course alone never mind the rest of Scotland.”
This is the ninth year in a row that Edinburgh College students have returned from the competition with multiple awards. This year’s prize haul included four gold first-places, three silver second-places, five bronze third-places and six merits with HND1, HND2 and BA students all picking awards.
Read more of our student stories here.