Applied Science NC is designed to develop your knowledge of the science industry. You will learn essential skills needed to progress into employment in the science sector or prepare you for further study in applied sciences.
This is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Sighthill campus. You will study a range of topics including Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. Our Science department offers you the opportunity to study in purpose-built laboratories. These will support the development of your general and specialist practical skills whilst enhancing your theoretical understanding of science.
This course works as a steppingstone towards further study of Applied Science NC Level 6 offered at Edinburgh College. This can lead to employment or further study at a university degree level. This course does not allow you to register for National 5 exams.
- Applied Biology
- Laboratory Safety
- A minimum of 3 passes at National 4 in at least two subjects out of the following: Biology, Chemistry or Physics
- A pass at National 4 Mathematics
- National 4 English is recommended but not mandatory
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on each unit
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the full award
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- Progression onto Applied Science NC Level 6
- Modern Apprenticeship
- Laboratory technician or other relevant employment
Course Cost And Funding Options
Edinburgh College Science student Monika Ravickyte describes her time spent on the Applied Science NC Level 5 course:
“I chose to study at Edinburgh College because I wanted to broaden and develop my knowledge in science subjects such as Biology, Chemistry and Physics as well as my laboratory skills. The college helped me gain experience and supported me when I needed it.”
Read more of our student stories here.