THIS COURSE IS SPECIFICALLY FOR SENIOR PHASE SCHOOL PUPILS WHILE STILL AT SCHOOL.
This is a 2 year course. In year 1 pupils will attend college typically 2 afternoons a week to completing a National Certificate in Civil Engineering (SCQF level 6).
In year 2 pupils will typically spend 2 afternoons a week in college and required to complete 4 weeks of work placement with an employer to complete their vocational qualification in the workplace.
What is a Foundation Apprenticeship? A foundation apprenticeship consists of both academic and vocational components from the current National Certificate (NC) Civil Engineering and SVQ Level 3 Construction Contracting Operations offered by SQA. These industry level qualifications will help to build the knowledge and skills required for a career in civil engineering. This programme requires attendance one full day per week at Edinburgh College Granton Campus.
What is Civil Engineering? ‘Civil engineers design and build bridges, roads, railways and tunnels. They design and build tall structures and large buildings such as multi-storey car parks, train stations and even the Olympic stadium. Without civil engineers, the world we live in would be completely unrecognisable.’ (Institution of Civil Engineers – www.ice.org)
Over the course of 1st & 2nd year, you will complete the following units in college.
- Computer Aided Drafting: An Introduction
- Mathematics: Craft 1
- Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
- Construction Site Surveying: An Introduction
- Construction Technology: Groundworks and Substructure
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Mathematics for Construction Technicians
- Civil Engineering Site Work
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Mechanics for Construction; An Introduction
- Civil Engineering Project
- Construction Project Management: An Introduction
In the workplace, you will complete at least one unit from the SVQ 3 in Construction Contracting Operations.
- work placement is essential for completion of SVQ and takes place over the summer.
How Course Is Assessed:
Number of Days per week:
- Typically two afternoons a week
- Grade A-C in both National 5 Maths and Physics
- Applicants must be studying Higher Maths in S5.
- Applicants must have an interest in a career in Civil Engineering.
- If your application is successful you will be invited for an interview at college.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Civil Engineer or similar role within construction industry
- progress to college on an HNC or to university