This course is for pupils who are in their final years of high school. This course is intended to be studied alongside your high school subjects.
Foundation Apprenticeship in Scientific Technologies is your first step towards an exciting career in the science industry. This course will develop your skills and knowledge of the life science sector.
You will gain experience in a college and work environment. This will give you an insight into the engineering workplace and allow you to gain hands-on experience.
Upon completion of the course you will achieve a Joint Qualification Certificate certificated by SQA. You will also receive a National Qualifications (NC Applied Science) certificate and SVQ 2 Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities certificate.
This is a two-year course where you will attend Edinburgh College for approximately two afternoons a week. In year one you will complete a National Certificate in Scientific Technologies (SCQF level 6). In year two you will be required to complete a work placement with an employer. This will give you a vocational qualification in the workplace and allow you to gain hands-on experience in the science industry.
- Laboratory Safety
- Fundamental Chemistry
- Health and Safety
- Scientific or Technical Tests
- Prepare Compounds and Solutions for Technical Use
- Achieved National 5 Mathematics and Chemistry (additional scientific subjects would be an advantage)
- The ability to study Higher Maths and Chemistry in either S5 or S6
- Applicants must have an interest in a career in The Scientific Technology Sector.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed at the end of each outcome
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- If your application is successful you will be invited for an interview at Edinburgh College to assess if this is the correct course for you
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Gain direct employment at entry level in the scientific sector
- Gain accelerated entry onto a Modern Apprenticeship in
- Life Science and Related Science Industries
- Progress onto a Technical or Graduate Apprenticeship in a scientific discipline
- Progress to College - Direct access to HNC in Applied Science
- Progress to University - FA is recognised as partial entry criteria for degrees in a variety of scientific related subjects
- Various employment within the science technology industry
- Tuesday and Thursday afternoons
- Time: 1:30pm - 4pm