This is a 2-year full-time course which will provide you with the range of skills required by employers for a career in accountancy. The previous study of accounting is not essential.
HND Year 1 (HNC): Learners will study core units covering all aspects of financial and cost accounting in both manual and computerised environments. Additionally, students undertake study in Scots business and contract law, statistics, communications and information technology. All students sit a Graded Unit (year-end exam)towards the end of the first year.
HND Year 2 (HND): Learners will progress to the second year upon successful completion of the first-year study. Students already in possession of an HNC in Accounting may apply directly for year 2 of the HND. Learners will study core units in advanced financial reporting, complex management accounting and planning, business taxation, auditing and company law. Learners also sit another graded unit (year-end exam) towards the end of the second year and undertake a third graded unit in the form of a major piece of project work.
- Recording Financial Information
- Preparing Final Accounts
- Using Financial Accounting Software
- Cost Accounting
- Management Accounting
- Using Information Technology
- Accounting: Graded Unit 1
- Business Law
- Business Contractual Relationships
How Course Is Assessed:
Number of Days per week:
- For Year 1 (HNC) a minimum of 2 Highers or relevant NC pass at SCQF level 6 numerical competence and effective communication skills
- For Year 2 (HND) you will have passed all 15 credits at HNC level or all 12 credits if a student from the January start fast-track HNC
- External Applicants in possession of a current HNC are welcome to apply.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Work as an Accountant and study towards a recognized a professional accounting qualification
- The HND will give you some examination exemptions from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- From Year one, possible progression to HND Year 2
- From Year two, possible progression to the third year of a degree course in accounting
“I started at Edinburgh College in January 2015 with the access to accounting course. Throughout the course I had great help and was made to feel welcomed by all lecturers and staff and from that point on I knew that Accounting was the career path I wanted to follow.
After successfully completing and thoroughly enjoying the course I wanted to progress onto HND Accounting. I then started on my first year HND Accounting course where I learned more and more skills and got a deeper understanding of what it was to being an accountant. I knew by this point that Accounting was definitely for me. I am looking forward to learning other new skills and an even more in depth view on Accounting. After successfully passing my 3rd and final year I hope to either get a job within an Accounting firm where I can gain experience while studying for my professional exams or continue on to university to further my education. For me, Edinburgh College has been amazing over the three years I have studied there. I was made to feel welcome from the start and have made lots of new friends with other students and staff alike. Edinburgh College has definitely helped me get to where I want to be and has put me on the right path to becoming an accountant!”
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...