This Childcare: First Steps course is designed for school leavers and young people. This is a starter level course and covers skills and knowledge related to working in a range of Childcare professions. (Note – Adults/Mature applicants or those wishing to return to formal education should apply for Childcare and Play: Second Steps).
This First Steps course is also a progression route onto our Second Steps course at Edinburgh College and is aimed at applicants without formal qualifications. This is a Short Full-Time course which runs for 18 weeks (with about 16 hours per week in college plus a 3 hour per week self-study allocation)
- Childhood Play and the World of Outdoor Play
- Maintaining Safe Environments for Children
- First Aid for Children
- Working with Others and Personal Development involving team work and a community based practical project
- Enterprise and Employability skills. Candidates who successfully achieve this course will be awarded the SQA certificate in “Enterprise and Employability” at SCQF 4
- There is no formal placement requirement for this course however there may be work experience opportunities in a Childcare setting as available and a practical community-based project where you will be working with other students staff and members of the public.
How Course Is Assessed:
Number of Days per week:
- 3 days per week - around 16 hours per week in college with a 3 hour per week self-study expectation and additional team working and community based activities as appropriate.
- There are no formal entry requirements, however, school leaver and young applicants must demonstrate a keen interest in childcare be well presented and have good interpersonal and communication skills. Remember that this course is designed for school Leavers and young people (Note – Adults/Mature applicants wishing to return to education should apply for Childcare and Play: Second Steps).
- Staff who work in nurseries, after school clubs and childcare provision are required to register with the SSSc – The Scottish Social Services Council. Details of registration requirements can be found at http://www.sssc.uk.com/registration
- Applicants for this level of course who are intending to undertake further study in Childhood Practice (beyond ‘First Steps and ‘Second Steps’) will be required to apply for a PVG as they progress onto these higher level courses. PVG = Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme. This PVG Scheme is for all those who work - whether paid or unpaid - with children and protected adults in the UK that would confirm that there is no known reason why an individual should not work with these groups. Detail of the PVG Scheme can be found http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2011/08/04111811/1
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
All successful applicants will be invited to their campus of choice for a welcome event. The purpose of this welcome event is to:
- To meet with the team and tour our facilities
- Further discussion on the PVG scheme and what it involves
- Overview of your chose course and its content
- Workwear sizing and order*
- Next Steps – timetable our expectations and your expectations
- Your future – further study employment and career opportunities
- Your chance to ask us questions. This welcome event is a compulsory requirement to secure and confirm your place on the course.
*For this level of course your workwear is funded through your bursary award (no requirement for you to pay). Workwear is required to be worn when in placement. All Childcare workwear is specifically designed for us and will have the Edinburgh College and Childcare logo embroidered on each item. The kit includes Polo Shirts (x3) Hoodie and weather proof Jacket for outdoor activities.
- This First Steps course is designed for you to progress onto further study and in itself will not lead to direct employment in a Childcare setting. Courses and qualifications that lead to SSSc registration and employment opportunities at Edinburgh College are NC Early Education and Childcare (SCQF level 6) and HNC Childhood Practice (SCQF Level7).
- Childcare and Play: Second Steps Suitability for progression onto further study will be determined by achievement attendance record conduct and a successful progression discussion. Also, note the PVG / SSSc Registration requirements when progressing onto any higher level of Childhood Practice course (Childhood courses beyond ‘First Steps and ‘Second Steps’).
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...