The HNC Childhood Practice course is perfect for school leavers who meet the entry requirements, adults who are looking to get back into education or those who are progressing on from our NC Early Education and Childcare course. This course will teach leadership skills, child development, health and safety and care in contemporary society. From this course, students can apply for registration as an SSSC professional, and go into employment within nurseries, playgroups, after schools clubs and other play schemes.
It is preferable, but not essential, that applicants have some experience of working in early learning or childcare settings.
- Care in Contemporary Society
- Leadership, Reflection and Learning
- Lifespan Development
- Support for Play, Learning and Development
- Health, Safety and Security in the Work Setting
- Health, Wellbeing and Safeguarding
- Supporting Children and Young People with Additional Support Needs
- Supporting Our Youngest Children from 0-3 years Candidates who successfully achieve this course will be awarded the SQA HNC Certificate in “Childhood Practice” at SCQF 7
- On achievement of this HNC certificate, you will be invited to the Edinburgh College Graduation Ceremony - http://www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/graduation
- This course has mandatory workplace requirements
- There are specific units of study in this course which must be achieved in the workplace. Candidates on this HNC course will be in a Childcare workplace setting for 60 days throughout their course. This is planned to be 2 days per week in addition to your college timetable and will start at around week 8* of the programme. There may be opportunities to extend this placement time depending on your progress and development.
*Subject to change depending on operational requirements.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Continual assessment in college, units to be achieved ‘in the workplace’ and a graded unit.
Number of Days per week:
- 3 days per week - around 14 hours per week in college with a 3 hour per week self-study expectation with 60 days’ mandatory work placement requirement.
- For this level, of course, you are required to hold certification at SCQF level 6 or above (or equivalent) including English or Communication. Applicants should hold qualifications or have experience that demonstrates their ability in research, report writing and writing essays/compositions. All applicants should have substantial experience of working with children – please detail this experience in your personal statement. For mature applicants, relevant work experience in a Childcare setting could demonstrate ability rather than qualifications.
- Staff who work in nurseries, after school clubs and childcare provision are required to register with the SSSc – The Scottish Social Services Council. Details of registration requirements can be found at http://www.sssc.uk.com/registration Applicants for this level, of course, will be required to apply for a PVG. PVG = Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme. This PVG Scheme is for all those who work - whether paid or unpaid - with children and protected adults in the UK that would confirm that there is no known reason why an individual should not work with these groups. Detail of the PVG Scheme can be found http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2011/08/04111811/1
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
All successful applicants will be invited to their campus of choice for a welcome event. The purpose of this welcome event is to:
- To meet with the team and tour our facilities
- Further discussion on the PVG scheme and what it involves
- Overview of your chose course and its content
- Workwear sizing and order*
- Next Steps – timetable, our expectations and your expectations
- Your future – further study employment and career opportunities
- Your chance to ask us questions. This welcome event is a compulsory requirement to secure and confirm your place on the course
*As an HNC Student you will be required to self-fund your workwear. Workwear is required to be worn when in placement. All Childcare workwear is specifically designed for us and will have the Edinburgh College and Childcare logo embroidered on each item. The kit includes Polo Shirts (x3), Hoodie and weather proof Jacket for outdoor activities. Estimated costs for this workwear kit is £90.00 and is purchased through our college suppliers.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...