This Childhood Practice: Level 5 course is for those who already have academic qualifications at SCQF level 4 or above and/or for those progressing on from our Childhood Practice: First and Second Steps programmes. Previous experience will be taken into account and work experience in a Childcare setting is desirable
This Childhood Practice: Level 5 course is also a progression route onto other more advanced Childcare provision at Edinburgh College. This is a Full-time course and runs for 36 weeks (with about 16 hours per week in college plus a 3 hour per week self-study allocation).
- Development and Wellbeing of Children and Young People
- Children and Young People: Practice and Process of Play
- Working with Children and Young People
- Preparation for Work placement
- Health and Wellbeing of Children in a Practical Setting
- Communication – Core Skill Certificate at SCQF Level 5. Candidates who successfully achieve this course will be awarded the SQA certificate in “Playwork and Childcare” at SCQF 5.
- This course has a workplace requirement. This is to prepare you for a further higher level study where work placement is a mandatory part of the course and certificate. Candidates on this Level 5 course will be in a Childcare workplace setting for 20 days throughout their course. We plan this to be 4 x 5-day block placement spread throughout the course duration.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Continual assessment in college and elements of units to be achieved ‘in the workplace’
Number of Days per week:
- 3 days per week - around 16 hours per week in college with a 3 hour per week self-study expectation with 20 days’ work placement.
- Certification at SCQF level 4 or above (or equivalent).
- Previous experience will be taken into account and work experience in a Childcare setting is desirable
- Staff who work in nurseries afterschool clubs and childcare provision are required to register with the SSSc – The Scottish Social Services Council. Details of registration requirements can be found at http://www.sssc.uk.com/registration Applicants for this level, of course, will be required to apply for a PVG. PVG = Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme. This PVG Scheme is for all those who work - whether paid or unpaid - with children and protected adults in the UK that would confirm that there is no known reason why an individual should not work with these groups. Detail of the PVG Scheme can be found http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2011/08/04111811/1
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
All successful applicants will be invited to their campus of choice for a welcome event. The purpose of this welcome event is to:
- To meet with the team and tour our facilities
- Further discussion on the PVG scheme and what it involves
- Overview of your chose course and its content
- Workwear sizing and order*
- Next Steps – timetable our expectations and your expectations
- Your future – further study employment and career opportunities
- Your chance to ask us questions. This welcome event is a compulsory requirement to secure and confirm your place on the course.
*For this level of course your workwear is funded through your bursary award (no requirement for you to pay). Workwear is required to be worn when in placement. All Childcare workwear is specifically designed for us and will have the Edinburgh College and Childcare logo embroidered on each item. The kit includes Polo Shirts (x3) Hoodie and weather proof Jacket for outdoor activities.
- This Childhood Practice: Level 5 course is designed for you to progress onto further study and in itself will not lead to direct employment in a Childcare setting. Courses and qualifications that lead onto SSSc registration and employment opportunities at Edinburgh College are NC Early Education and Childcare (SCQF level 6) and HNC Childhood Practice (SCQF Level7).
- NC Early Education and Childcare (SCQF 6)
- HNC Childhood Practice (SCQF Level 7)
- Suitability for progression will be determined by achievement including Core Skills attendance record conduct and a successful progression discussion. Your work placement activities will also be taken into account.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...