Working with young children and helping them learn essential
skills for life is very rewarding and worthwhile. With the expansion of Early
Learning and Childcare services across Scotland, there are lots of jobs
available. This is a flexible career, with a variety of different ways to train
and study to qualify as an Early Learning professional.
This Childhood Practice: Level 5 course is for those who already have academic
qualifications at SCQF level 4 or above and/or for those progressing on from
our Childhood Practice: Level 4 (or similar) at Edinburgh College. Previous
experience will be taken into account and work experience in a childcare
setting is desirable. This is the fast track version of this course,
running for 18 weeks.
You will achieve the Early Learning and Childcare National 5: Skills for Work Group Award.
This will include studying these topics:
- Play in early learning and childcare
- Development and wellbeing of children and young people
- Working in early learning and childcare
- Children and young people: rights and protection
- Communication (core skills)
- English or Communication at National 4 level or equivalent
plus two other subjects at National 4 or equivalent.
- If you have successfully achieved a relevant National
4 full-time course you may be eligible to progress to this Level 5
- Previous experience will be taken into account and work
experience in a childcare setting is desirable – please provide details in your
English Proficiency Requirements
- NC Early Education and Childcare (SCQF 6).
- HNC Childhood Practice (SCQF Level 7).
- Suitability for progression will be determined by
achievement, attendance record, conduct and a successful progression
- This Access to Study in Childhood
Practice course is designed for you to progress onto further study and in
itself will not lead to direct employment in a childcare setting.
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
- 3 days per week with 3 hours per week of self-study and
additional team working and community-based activities as appropriate.
- Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday, 9:00-16:30. (Subject to
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...