This Professional Development Award (PDA) Level 7 in Painting and Decorating. This course is for anyone that is working towards or have completed PDA Level 6 or an SVQ Level 3 in Painting and Decorating that wants to enhance their theoretical and practical skills. You can enrol onto this course even if you have been trading for several years and want to update your Continuous Professional Development (CPD) skills.
This course runs throughout the academic year at Edinburgh College’s Granton campus on a day a week basis. During this course you will learn advanced painting and decorating skills that you will later be able to put to practical use as a tradesperson.
The practical work will take place in the painting and decorating workshops. The theory is delivered in general classrooms and computer rooms.
- Proper Use of Tools and Equipment
- Papering Complex Surfaces
- Specialist Decorative Applications
- Applying Metal Leaf and Powder
- Applying Specialised Wall Coverings
- Colour and Design
- Producing Faux Finishes
The remainder classroom-based tasks include:
- Theoretical for the above units
- Drawing and Communication Skills
- This course is delivered at Granton Campus one day per week over 36 weeks.
- The practical work will take place in the paint and decorating workshops the theory is delivered in general classrooms and computer rooms
- Completed PDA Level 6 or SVQ Level 3 in Paint and Decorating
- It is an advantage (but not mandatory) if you are completing your third or fourth year of your apprenticeship or working in the trade as this course aims to help you enhance your practical and employability skills
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Course content consists of individual units that are graded through continual assessment in both practical and theory
- The practical element of the course accounts for roughly 75%
- The practical work will take place in the Edinburgh College
- The theory is delivered in general classrooms and computer rooms
- Assessment is through continual assessment both in practical and theory
- All units within the course must be achieved in order to gain the full group award
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All students should apply online and must have permission from their employer to attend the course. Whether fees are covered by your employer or yourself, each application will go through the college selection process and will be looked at on its own merit.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- This course gives you the skills to become self-employed once you have completed your apprenticeship, become a tradesperson or apply for further education
- Progress within your chosen trade profession
- This advanced certificate will improve your prospects of promotion within a company and enhance your knowledge of the construction industry
- one day per week over 36 weeks
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £885 Granton block-release (year 1)
Hardworking student and first-class painter and decorator, Jordan, believes there’s not much he hasn’t accomplished as he embarks on his third year at Edinburgh College on the Painting and Decorating Modern Apprenticeship. Juggling long hours in the College workshops alongside an on-site apprenticeship at his dad’s painting and decorating firm, Jordan strongly believes that the course was the right path for him.
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...