This course is appropriate if you want to improve your language skills (ESOL) and gain an understanding of the role of Business enterprise in contemporary society (Business Management). You will also develop employability skills through the SQA Intermediate 1 Unit of Work Experience and do a 6-day work placement. Through improving English language business and employability skills the course aims to enhance your employment prospects or prepare you to progress onto college NC/HNC level Business courses.
This 17 hour course includes taught classes directed self study and personal tutorial time. This course is bursary funded so you will not have to pay course fees and may be eligible for other bursary funding. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45).
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher level on a part time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects.
For classes taking place during the day you come to college twice a week for a two hour class. For evening classes you come to college or an outreach location within the community once a week for a 3 hour class.
Course Fees: £275 (approx.) per subject. Fees will be confirmed when application has been processed.
- English language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Develop grammar skills at upper-intermediate level
- Develop your general and business vocabulary
- Complete SQA units in Business Management and Work Experience
- Develop skills in applying for work and going to interviews
- Plan for progression and get valuable careers guidance
- You will have a placement of 6 days in a work environment close to your chosen career field
- You may have to complete a PVG check for this placement
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is internally and externally assessed through completion of the ESOL National 5 award and Business Management Intermediate 2 award
Number of Days per week:
- You must meet the language level requirements of the course
Applicants must demonstrate the ability to work at an appropriate level by having already achieved a pass at A or B in the level below which they are applying for.
- National 5 (SCQF 5) subjects - pass at National 4 (with added value unit), Intermediate 1 at A or B, or Standard Grade 3 or 4 in the subject.
- Higher (SCQF 6) subjects - A or B pass at National 5 or A or B at Intermediate 2 in the subject.
- Advanced Higher (SCQF 7) subjects - A or B pass at Higher
- For entry to social science subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, History and Politics previous study of the subject is not required. However National 5 English is required plus another social subject at SCQF level 5.
The above represents the minimum entry requirements.
These courses are challenging and require the ability to study independently. Applicants should identify clearly the reason for studying their chosen subject in their course application.
- English level of ESOL Intermediate 1/National 4 SQA
- You must demonstrate a clear interest in business
English Proficiency Requirements:
- ESOL Intermediate 1/National 4 SQA
- Your language level will be assessed at interview
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- You will be invited for a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked
- Progress to mainstream college courses at NC or HNC particularly in the field of Business and Administration NQ English Plus Higher Employment or training
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...