This course is for people who are interested in taking up a career in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or for people working with ESOL learners in different contexts.
The course covers basic language awareness for the classroom; language learning in different contexts and introduces ESOL methodology. This provides good preparation for initial teacher training qualifications such as CELTA.
The course also includes the SQA Professional Development Award Introduction to Tutoring ESOL (ITESOL) Unit 1: Language and Learning.
Class timetable: Tuesdays 6.30pm to 8.30pm.
- General introduction to teaching English to speakers of other languages(including methodology and materials)
- An introduction to the analysis of English for teaching purposes
- Develop awareness of the terminology used in ELT classrooms and materials (in terms of grammar and methodology)
- The course is a useful preparation for those intending to take an initial teacher training course such as CELTA or PDA TESOL
- The course does not include teaching practice although peer teaching tasks are included in some sessions. It consists of 16 two-hour sessions each focusing on a key area of English Language Teaching or language analysis and includes background information; discussion tasks/activities; practical classroom applications; suggestions for further reading where appropriate
Course participants will be asked to:
- Complete a short pre-task in preparation for each session (given one week in advance)
- Take part in pairwork and group activities/discussions
- Observe an experienced teacher in class
- Write up and submit tasks based on the observation Complete 4 PDA assessment tasks
- Complete a course review form
- Attend a minimum of 13 sessions.
How Course Is Assessed:
- 4 assessments covering language skills and analysis and the role of ESOL in Scotland
- 2 closed book tests in class time and 2 essays
Number of Days per week:
- Minimum 2 passes at SCQF Level 5
- Other considerations, attitude and aptitude, personal statement interview
- It is not necessary to buy a textbook for this course but if you are interested in finding out more about TESOL or intend to take further training the following are recommended: Murphy English Grammar in Use (CUP), Parrot Grammar for English Language Teachers (CUP,) Hadfield and Hadfield Introduction to Teaching English (OUP)
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- There will be a short interview to make sure that the course is the right choice for you.
- Progress to initial teacher training course such as CELTA
- Work as a tutor or classroom assistant in an ESOL context
- Trinity Cert TESOL
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £246 Sighthill evening (year 1)
This course will start week commencing...