Energy Systems with Renewable Energy HND is a full-time course taught at Edinburgh College’s Midlothian campus. The course will enhance your knowledge in a range of modules from Pneumatics and Hydraulics to Engineering System Analysis. This course will give you the analytical skills needed for a job in the engineering systems industry. You will cover a range of essential areas in mechanical, electrical and systems engineering.
In year one you will follow HNC Engineering Systems with Renewables. This course is designed to make sure you meet the varied needs of the industry. On progression to year two you will begin your HND. The aim of this HND is to provide you with practical skills in advanced theories of engineering systems. You will use the latest simulation and design software and study a variety of technical subjects including Principles of Engineering Systems, Renewable Energy Units and Computer Aided Design (CAD).
The course is taught by teachers with industry experience using the latest industry technologies and will give you an insight into the working environment of an engineer. You will be taught between Edinburgh College classrooms and workshops where you will gain essential and hands-on experience of the engineering sector. This course is intended to meet the needs of employers and will ensure you meet undergraduate requirements for a variety of universities.
Do you have any questions regarding this course? Contact a member of our teaching staff:
+44 131 297 9285
The standard academic entry requirements for this course are:
- Two Highers (C or above) in Mathematics and Physics or another Engineering Science based discipline.
Eligibility criteria for existing Edinburgh College students or students from other colleges:
- NC in Engineering or NC in Multi-Discipline Engineering (Level 6)
- Applicants with equivalent certificates are welcome to apply
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed on each unit
- Students are allowed two attempts at each assessment
- All units on the course are either pass or fail except for the Graded Units
- Graded Units are graded A, B or C based on performance
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You may be asked to attend a qualifications interview and aptitude test
- This is a short test designed to check if your mathematics and physics knowledge is the correct level for this course
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- This course is aligned with university requirements for engineering undergraduate courses
- Technician level engineering posts
- Mechanical engineer
- Renewables engineer
- Systems engineer
- Apply for the Modern Apprenticeship Scheme
Course Cost And Funding Options
20-year-old Lindsay Stevenson moved to Edinburgh to start her Oil and Gas Technical Programme (OGTAP) managed by OPITO in partnership with Edinburgh College. We caught up with her to find out how her apprenticeship was going so far:
‘I chose an apprenticeship for on-the-job training and the opportunity to earn and learn. I’ve formed lots of friendships with my new classmates and in terms of the course itself the practical nature is the best thing.
I hope to work offshore and progress within the oil and gas industry. And, to travel lots when I’m off!’
Read more of our student stories here.