This qualification is based on the same course taught on a full-time and part-time basis at the College but using a new interactive web-based delivery format exclusive to Edinburgh College.
Delivery is based on 2 evenings per week fast-tracked over 2 years. Each evening session lasts 2.5 hours and is delivered online similar to a Skype or Facetime meeting but with special software that uses a virtual whiteboard system so students can participate in the class in the same way as if attending full-time.
Attendance at College is only required for assessment purposes or for the practical elements of certain units so most of the study will be carried out in the comfort of your own home. Students only need a PC with a good internet connection to participate in the course. The specialist webcasting software required for the course will be arranged by the College.
Cost per course unit - £250
(12 units in total)
SQA Register Charge - £30
(paid in year 1)
Total Year 1 Cost - £1280
Total Year 2 Cost - £1750
Total Overall Course Cost - £3030
The course costs £250 per unit with you needing to complete a total of 12 units over a 2 year period. You will be charged for the number of units being taught in any academic year, which is normally 5 units in year 1 and 7 units in year 2.
If you start mid-course you will be charged from the course unit you begin on.
There is also an additional charge of £30 in the 1st year to allow you to be registered for the award with the SQA.
The total cost of this course is £1280 in year 1 and £1750 in year 2.
It may be possible to set up a payment schedule (please speak to the Finance Department for further details).
How Course Is Assessed:
- Most units are assessed by a final written exam at the end of the unit. (College attendance is required for this).
- Students are allowed 2 attempts as each assessment
- All units on the course are either pass/fail except for the Graded Unit. This is marked and graded A B or C based on performance. This grade is used along with the HNC award certificate as a basis for progression to HND or Degree Level study.
Number of Days per week:
- 2 Evenings per week (5 hours per week) (by distance learning)
- Higher Maths and Physics (C or above). Equivalent qualifications accepted.
- NC Engineering Award at SCQF Level 6.
- Candidates with maths and physics qualifications at a lower level but with engineering related experience are also welcome to apply.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- This award can be used to support an application for employment at technician/supervisory level within the mechanical engineering sector.
- As CPD for those already in the sector seeking promotion or advancement.
- Further study at HND level or Degree Level study.
Download our progression route map here
- This is a brand new delivery format for the College so as yet no progression is offered from this course using a similar delivery style. Progression from this course would therefore be onto our HND Mechanical Engineering Award on either a full time or day release basis.
- 1st/2nd year entry to Degree Level Study at university.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £1530 Open Learning (year 1) Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...