This course aims to provide you with a fundamental understanding of the purposes and sources of Law in Scotland. You will develop your legal knowledge and skills through the study of core areas of private, public, criminal and Business law. You will explore the foundations of Private Law in Scotland, as well as learning the essential elements within Criminal Liability and Procedures in the Scottish Legal System, as well as focussing on the role and aims of the Scottish Criminal Justice System and the role of the courts within this.
Students can expect to develop and apply key research and written and oral communication skills in addition to essential skills which are highly sought by universities and employers. You are encouraged to debate and discuss at every opportunity throughout your time on this course and will spend the year cultivating your debating skills by learning how to form and present professional legal arguments.
- Form and present professional legal arguments.
- Sources of Scots Law – Hierarchy of Sources of Scots Law and how these are applied
- Legal Research and Writing Techniques – Learning how to use legal databases; Reading a case; Understanding Legislation; Exam technique for Legal subjects
- Civil Court Systems in Scotland – Structure of the Civil courts in Scotland; Include a visit to the Court
- The Scottish Criminal Justice System; Structure of the Criminal Courts; Disposals available to the courts; Different roles within the SCJS; Scottish Prison reforms
- Introduction to Contract Law – Essentials for the formation of contracts generally in Scotland
5 English and Maths at C or above, or equivalent; National 5 in one or more of
the following subjects – History, Modern Studies
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
Progression And Articulation Routes
- NC or HNC Legal Courses here at Edinburgh College
- Police Scotland
- The Legal Profession
- The Scottish Prison Service
- Local Council/Government
- The Scottish Courts
- The Civil Service
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
- Open Learning will require around 6 hours of self study with online tutor support when required
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £186 Sighthill open-learning (year 1)
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...