This Dental Nursing course is for applicants wishing to train as a Dental Care Professional (DCP). This course will prepare you for the role of a dental nurse who is employed as part of the dental team. In particular, you will learn about the value of chair-side support to clinical team members during treatment sessions in dental surgery.
All full-time applicants should have preferably achieved the Dental Nursing Preparing for Practice course which is now the Edinburgh College approved progression route onto the SVQ 3 level of study, however, direct applicants with suitable experience will be considered.
Part-time applicants must be employed as a trainee dental nurse and will be required to complete an induction unit prior to commencing SVQ.
Once you have successfully completed this qualification you are required to undertake further study with the PDA (Professional Development Award) in Dental Nursing. To undertake this PDA you are required to be in employment as a trainee Dental Nurse and complete your studies whilst working.
To register and work as a Dental Nurse you are required to hold both qualifications and meet the GDC standards of Conduct. Read more about the GDC.
For further information please contact Audrey Stewart, you can contact Audrey at Audrey.Stewart@edinburghcollege.ac.uk
For applicants who are already employed in a dental practice as a trainee Dental Nurse, a day release programme will also be available for August 19.
- Chair-side support
- The preparation of instruments
- Mixing of dental materials
- Patient comfort
- Preparation and maintenance of the clinical environment
- Infection control guidelines
- Recording of clinical charting
- Maintaining Patient’s records
- Dental radiographs
For full time applicants - Placement on this level of course is mandatory. We plan a balanced delivery between work placement and college.
- For the first 8 weeks of the course, there will be no placement requirement.
- From week 9 you will be in placement for 2 full days per week.
- For the remaining 21 weeks of your course, you will be in placement for 3 days.
- This delivery strategy is subject to change to meet operational requirements.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Continual assessment with a portfolio of clinical experience.
- E-Assessment using industry recognised assessment programmes.
- A minimum of 2 mandatory workplace observations by SVQ assessors.
Number of Days per week:
For full time applicants:
3 full days for the first 8 weeks.
- 2 full days from week 9.
- You are also allocated 3 hours per week for the full 36 weeks for self-directed study activities.
- Full-time applicants should have preferably achieved the Dental Nursing Preparing for Practice course, however direct applications will be considered.
- Part time applicants must be employed in a suitable dental environment as a trainee dental nurse
- Applicants for all levels of Dental Nursing courses require a PVG check. Find out more about the PVG scheme.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Dental Practices
- Dental Hospitals
- Opportunities to undertake post registration qualifications leading to specialist clinical roles
- For further information contact Elaine.email@example.com
Download our progression route map here
Once you have successfully completed this SVQ 3 Dental Nursing qualification you are required to undertake further study on to the PDA in Dental Nursing. To undertake this PDA you are required to be in employment as a trainee Dental Nurse (in a Dental Care setting) and complete your studies whilst working.
To register and work as a Dental Nurse you are required to hold both qualifications and meet the GDC standards of Conduct. Read about the GDC here.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £700 Granton part-time (year 1) Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
This course will start on…
This course will end on...