If you are looking to develop a career in the voluntary and mental health sectors this introductory course is designed for you. The aim is to introduce you to some of the concepts and skills required to offer support through the use of listening and responding skills. You will learn about the counselling relationship by exploring different models of counselling and learning how to apply the skills of active listening.
This course aims to teach you skills to support people in a listening role, and to develop your self-awareness but is not a therapy or self-help group. Your learning will be based on non-directive counselling although mention is made of other counselling models to broaden your understanding. The emphasis is on practical skills and group exercises with a certain amount of written work necessary to achieve certification from SQA. You will participate in listening exercises working with peers to develop your counselling skills in a highly participative practical way.
- The Counselling Relationship
- Counselling Skills
- Listening and Responding Skills
- Non-directive Counselling
- Personal statement indicating why you want to do the course
- Basic reading and writing skills are required
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed through written and practical assignments.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- NC Counselling Skills
- HNC in Counselling
- COSCA Certificate in Counselling
- Can lead to enhanced work opportunities within the voluntary and mental health sectors
- Sighthill Campus on a Wednesday afternoon from 1 pm – 4 pm and Thursday evening 5.30 pm - 8.30 pm
- Milton Road Campus on a Thursday evening from 5.30 pm – 8.30 pm
- Our Outreach Introduction To Counselling is delivered at St Thomas of Aquins also on a Thursday evening but from 5.30 pm - 8 pm. For more information please contact Christine.firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £105 Sighthill part-time (year 1)Fee: £105 Sighthill evening (year 1)Fee: £105 Outreach evening (year 1)Fee: £105 Milton Road evening (year 1)