THIS COURSE IS FOR SENIOR PHASE PUPILS WHO ARE STILL AT SCHOOL
Learners who want to work as a dental nurse must be registered with the General Dental Council (GDC). To become registered, you will have to achieve two qualifications: the SVQ in Dental Nursing and the PDA in Dental Nursing at SCQF level 7.
Before entering training for these qualifications, the GDC requires all learners to be at a level called ‘safe beginner’. This means you need to have “training regarding patient safety and confidentiality; infection control; the protection of vulnerable children and adults; and how to deal with medical emergencies”
This course has been designed to provide a pathway from entry-level to safe beginner and offers the opportunity to carry out practical tasks in a realistic working environment. This is an interesting and pro-active training course that develops transferrable skills for health and social care.
- Working with Others
- Health and Safety
- Introduction to First Aid
- Oral Health Improvement
- Infection Prevention and Decontamination in an Oral Health Care Environment
- Dental Anatomy
- Ability to demonstrate a keen interest in the health care professions along with core skills, experience or qualifications at SCQF Level 4
- Applicants will be required to attend course induction sessions. You will be notified in advance of the details
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed through integrated assessments, projects and group tasks
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
All applicants are invited in for an information session and one to one discussion before being offered a place.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- On successful completion of this course, i.e. pass all units, have excellent attendance and meet our fitness to practice guidelines you may be able to progress to NPA Oral Health SCQF level 6, other health-related level 6 courses
- The National Certificate in Oral Health Care: Preparing for Practice will be awarded on successful completion of both NPA group awards
Successful candidates who do not want to progress to NPA Oral Health SCQF level 6 can seek employment in a related sector, dental or medical reception; local decontamination units; or health and social care.
- 2 afternoons per week: Tuesday & Thursday 1:30pm - 4.00pm