The SVQ Level 3 in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership recognises the knowledge and skills required of candidates working as supervisors or team leaders/managers in the various sectors of the hospitality industry. Candidates may be working in hotels restaurants cafes workplace canteens residential homes or any other outlets which involve the provision of hospitality services to the public. Candidates enrolling for this qualification must be supervising other staff as part of their job role to achieve this course.
- This course requires you to complete 8 units. Five of these are mandatory (you must do them) and you need to choose 3 others.
- This course is for supervisors and junior managers in the hospitality industry. You must be supervising other staff as part of your job role to achieve this course. It is suitable for supervisors in restaurants, bars, housekeeping, reception, kitchen or indeed for general or customer liaison managers. This may be in small or large hotels, restaurants, cafes, workplace canteens, residential homes or any other outlets which involve the provision of hospitality services to the public.
- The units are wide ranging and some are complex so check them carefully before you choose.
- The five mandatory units cover the basic range of skills for a junior manager or supervisor.
- The three optional units you select should reflect the specific tasks you carry out in your job role. For example HSL10 (Food Service) should be chosen if you are a restaurant supervisor. HSL31 is an excellent unit for supervisors who hold meetings with their staff and will provide evidence for many other units.
- Your assessor and manager will go through the units with you before you start to ensure you select appropriate units for your job role. There may be some observation but you will also be given tasks or projects to complete to achieve some of the units. You will also be given knowledge questions to answer.
- If you need any help or guidance with your course your assessor is the person to ask. He/she has been specially trained to guide you through your course and will be happy to help!
The SVQ is aimed at people working in all sectors of the hospitality industry in roles such as:
- team leader
- assistant manager
- trainee manager
- shift leader
- Entry is at the discretion of the centre. This is a work-based qualification so candidates should be in a post that will enable them to provide the required evidence.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- This is a work-based qualification so candidates should be in a post that will enable them to provide the required evidence.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- Candidates could undertake the SVQ in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership as part of the Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in Hospitality.
- It may be possible for candidates to progress to the SVQ 4 Hospitality Management Skills the HNC Hospitality or HND Hospitality Management.
- Supervisory roles within the Hospitality Industry
- You may need to attend College one day a week.
Course Cost And Funding Options