The City and Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery is for anyone who works or wants to work as a chef in the catering and hospitality sector. It is ideal for learners coming straight from school who wish to seek a career in this industry. You will be introduced to a variety of areas relating to working in a professional environment and develop skills essential to this industry in communication and teamwork.
- A high standard of cookery skills
- Processes such as roasting and frying, stewing and braising
- Healthier foods and special diets
- Food safety in catering to commodities
- Workplace essentials like menu design
- Legislation in Food and Beverage Service
- Dealing with payments and Bookings.
- Although there is no mandatory placement requirement for this course you are recommended to seek work experience within the catering/hospitality industry to support your studies
- Your course tutor can assist you in finding suitable work experience.
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course work assessments will consist of written tests multiple choice questions practical tests case studies
- Practical tests involve two 3-hour practical exams.
Number of Days per week:
- Minimum of 2 Core Skills passes at SCQF Level 3 and a successful interview
- Consideration will also be given to those who have relevant work experience or have completed a related course at introductory level.
- This course is not suitable for under 16 year olds
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- All applicants will be invited for an interview.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
The Diploma in Professional Cookery can help you find a job as a:
- Commis Chef
- Pastry Chef
- Kitchen Assistant
Download our progression route map here
- Students who successfully complete all elements of the course may be able to progress to Level 2 Professional Cookery
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...