This is a 6-month course and is ideal if you are looking to get into cooking but don’t know yet if it’s the career path that you want to follow. The course will introduce you to a variety of techniques needed to work in a professional kitchen and will develop your skills in areas such as knife skills, cooking skills, kitchen skills, food hygiene and team working.
There will be opportunities for you to participate in a programme of visits to hotels/restaurants and ample opportunities for work experience to give you further insight into the industry and help you to decide if cooking is the career for you.
- Food Preparation Techniques: An Introduction
- Cookery Processes: An Introduction
- Food Hygiene for the Hospitality Industry
- Basic Cookery Skills and Techniques
- Knife Skills
- Although there is no mandatory placement requirement for this course you are recommended to seek work experience within the catering/hospitality industry to support your studies. Your course tutor can assist you in finding suitable work experience
How Course Is Assessed:
- Open book tasks
- Closed book tasks
- Practical observations
Number of Days per week:
- A maximum of 4 days per week
- There are no formal entry requirements but you must have the ability to work at SCQF Level 3-4
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- All applicants will be invited along to an information session/interview
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Kitchen Assistant
- Commis chef - depending on your level of skills
Download our progression route map here
- Introduction to the Hospitality industry (January to June) – this course will continue to develop your cooking skills and will introduce you to front of house skills
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...