This course is aimed at anyone working within a food handling environment including catering/licensed trade food production and processing industries and also those in caring and voluntary situations involving food preparation or handling.
The REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate provides evidence that the holder has achieved a basic understanding of good food safety practices as required by law.
On successful completion of the course participants will know:
- How food poisoning is caused
- How to prevent food poisoning
- The main requirements of the Food Safety Act and the Food Hygiene (Scotland) Regulations
Successful course participants will receive the REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate.
- An introduction to food hygiene
- Bacteria and their characteristics
- Food borne diseases and foods at risk
- Food poisoning
- Personal hygiene and the working habits of the food handler
- The working environment and equipment
- Cleaning practices
- Common food pests and their control
- Food safety legislation
How Course Is Assessed:
- There is an examination at the end of the course which is a 30 question multiple-choice paper with a 60% or more pass mark.
Number of Days per week:
- No formal entry requirements are needed
English Proficiency Requirements:
- Intermediate Food Hygiene
- On successful completion of the course you could consider progressing on to the REHIS Intermediate Food Hygiene course
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £69 Granton part-time (year 1) Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
This course will start on…
This course will end on...