This course is aimed at anyone working within a food handling environment including catering/licensed trade food production and processing industries and also those in caring and voluntary situations involving food preparation or handling.
The REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate provides evidence that the holder has achieved a basic understanding of good food safety practices as required by law.
On successful completion of the course participants will know:
- How food poisoning is caused
- How to prevent food poisoning
- The main requirements of the Food Safety Act and the Food Hygiene (Scotland) Regulations
Successful course participants will receive the REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate.
- An introduction to food hygiene
- Bacteria and their characteristics
- Food borne diseases and foods at risk
- Food poisoning
- Personal hygiene and the working habits of the food handler
- The working environment and equipment
- Cleaning practices
- Common food pests and their control
- Food safety legislation
- No formal entry requirements are needed
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- There is an examination at the end of the course which is a 30 question multiple-choice paper with a 60% or more pass mark.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Intermediate Food Hygiene
- On successful completion of the course you could consider progressing on to the REHIS Intermediate Food Hygiene course
Number Of Days Per Week/Day Of The Week/Time Of The Day
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £69 Granton part-time (year 1)
This course will start on…
This course will end on...