WSET Level 1 course is a beginner level introduction to wine – this course is suitable for those starting a wine career or pursuing an interest in wine. For individuals new to wine study this qualification provides a hands-on introduction to the world of wine. You’ll explore the main types and styles of wine through sight smell and taste whilst also gaining the basic skills to describe wines accurately and make food and wine pairings. On successful completion of the course, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to store and serve wine
- The principles of food and wine pairing
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine (SAT)
Included in the course -
All course materials produced by WSET
All tasting wines (6 wines tasted)
All tuition and hand-outs
Examination paper, marking by WSET and a
certificate and lapel pin for passing.
All study materials
How Course Is Assessed:
- You will sit a 30 question multiple-choice paper at the end of this course, you must achieve a 70% or more pass mark in order to be eligible for qualification.
Number of Days per week:
There are no entry requirements for this course but you must be of legal drinking age in this country to participate in any alcohol tasting - however, this is not a barrier to successful completion of the course.
English Proficiency Requirements:
- Students who successfully pass level 1 wine can apply for the WSET Level 2 Certificate in Wine
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £135 Granton part-time (year 1) Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
This course will start on…
This course will end on...