A beginner to intermediate level qualification exploring wines and spirits for those working in the industry or wine and spirit enthusiasts. For individuals seeking a core understanding of wines this qualification explores the major grape varieties and important wine regions in which they are grown. You’ll learn about the styles of wines produced from these grapes as well as key classifications and labelling terminology. A basic overview of the key categories of spirits and liqueurs will also be provided. Upon successful completion you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
- All course materials produced by WSET
- All tasting wines (approx. 47 wines)
- All tuition and hand-outs
- Examination paper marking by WSET and a certificate and lapel pin for passing.
- All study materials
Not included - Students MUST
bring 6 ISO wine tasting glasses with them to each tutorial
What is expected of the student? – Students will attend 16 hours of tutorials over 8 weeks with a 1 hour multiple choice exam in week 9. Students will also be expected to undertake at least 12 hours of private study at home in order to prepare for the final exam.
- How wine is made
- What factors influence wine style
- The key white and black grape varieties and their characteristics
- The important wine-producing regions of the world in which these grapes are grown
- The production of sparkling sweet and fortified wines
- Label terminology
- Food and wine pairing principles
- The principal categories of spirits and liqueurs and how they are made
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
How Course Is Assessed:
- You will sit a 50 question multiple-choice paper at the end of this course, you must achieve a 55% pass mark in order to be eligible for qualification.
Number of Days per week:
English Proficiency Requirements:
Within the Hospitality Industry Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
Students who successfully pass level 2 wine and spirits can apply for the WSET level 3 certificate in wines.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £332 Granton part-time (year 1) Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
This course will start on…
This course will end on...