If you have an ambition to work in the sport and leisure industry this course is ideal. Youll gain formal qualifications allowing you to progress to further study or begin a career in the industry. The course is intensive you’ll participate in both theory and practical elements and develop a broad range of knowledge and basic skills in sport and exercise. During the course all candidates will be given the option to discuss the most appropriate progression route for them where the focus is very much on giving candidates the skills required to progress to further study.
- Sporting activities
- Basic nutrition
- Anatomy and exercise
- First aid
- Fitness programming
- Resistance circuits and cardiovascular training
Where appropriate you will study essential skills such as; communication ICT numeracy working with others and problem solving. It will also provide a general understanding of the work environment in the sport and leisure industry.
- Placements may be available through local partnerships
- Candidates would ideally have 3 passes at National 4 , English and/or a science subject would be advantageous. Appropriate experience would be helpful either from placements undertaken at school or other involvement in the industry. You may be a candidate such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family. In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The course is assessed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year using a variety of methods which can include: written assessments logbooks group exercises projects assignments and practical tasks and observations.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- At interview you will be expected to demonstrate a knowledge of and active participation in exercise and fitness therefore it will include a practical element. The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in exercise and fitness activities anatomical systems and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path. There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study at appropriately levelled courses in Sport and Exercise such as: Exercise and Fitness Instructor or HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise HNC/D in Coaching and Developing Sport
- It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment as a leisure attendant or similar posts within either private health racket or sports clubs or local authority leisure centres.
Course Cost And Funding Options