SWAP (Scottish Wider Access Programme) courses are designed if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least three years (five years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level) this SWAP Access course is the ideal route into higher education. SWAP Access courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education and are designed to give you intensive academic preparation and the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence required for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at colleges or universities in Scotland.
The SWAP Access to Languages with Business is a full-time course (18 hours a week) running from the end of August to the middle of June. During Semester 1 you will usually be at College five days a week with some mornings and afternoons off. During Semester 2 you will be at the College three-four days a week with further independent study involved.
You will study a range of units at SCQF Levels 4 to 7 in order to prepare you for your degree studies. Language study (French or Spanish) may be combined in different ways depending on previous knowledge of a language and the levels available. We may be able to provide additional units or modify the programme to suit your own progression routes. All units are internally assessed unless external assessments are required to satisfy particular progression routes. In addition to these units you will attend weekly tutorials, open days and study skills events held by universities and colleges as part of your preparation for higher education. For more information on SWAP courses visit www.scottishwideraccess.org
- Core Mathematics 3 and 4
- Business Management
- Business Decision Areas: Finance
- Business Decision Areas: Marketing and Operations
- Investigating Europe
- Developing Study Skills
- Preparation for Higher Education
How Course Is Assessed:
Number of Days per week:
- 18 hours up to 4 days per week
- To be eligible for SWAP, an applicant MUST have been out of full-time education for 3 years if they already have qualifications at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent. Or 5 years if they already have qualifications at least SCQF Level 6 or equivalent
- If you do not meet entry requirements your application will still be considered on an individual basis
- If your first language is not English you should hold one of the following ESOL qualifications as proof of English Language competence: IELTS 5.5 or above; Cambridge First Certificate or above; SQA ESOL Intermediate 2 (full award i.e. 2 units and external examination grade C or above); other equivalent English qualification e.g. university degree in English
- If you`re unable to provide evidence of ESOL level as above youll need to do the college ESOL level test and any offer of a place is conditional on passing the test.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Upon receipt of applications you will be selected after attending an interview.
Help find your perfect career with Career Coach
- Further study employment and/or training
- A wide range of degrees at the University of Abertay, University of Dundee, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh College of Art, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh Napier University, Queen Margaret University, University of Stirling and University of St Andrews
- You may also choose to progress to HNC/D programmes in a further education college or other qualifications in Modern Languages, Arts or Social Sciences.
Use our Funding Tool to assist you with financial support
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing... br >