This exciting new programme will be running at Sightgill Campus in August 2020. The Steps towards Independence Programme is aimed at students who have attended special education, or who may have received significant levels of support in mainstream schools. It is also aimed at students who use day services.
The programme will run over 5 days, Monday to Friday, with different course options in the mornings and the afternoons. It is a flexible programme and students may attend part-time or full-time, choosing as many options as they like, from 1 to 10 per week. Each course will be tailored to the learning needs of students and those students who require one-to-one support or personal assistance will bring their support staff with them.
Please write in your personal statement in the online application the subjects you wish to take.
You will participate in college courses at SCQF levels 1- 2. These include:
- Core Skills Boost
- Digital Skills
- Nature and the Environment
- Health and Wellbeing
- Outdoor Learning
- Independent Living Skills
- Volunteering and Employability Skills
- Art and Design
A work experience placement is not part of this programme, however, you will learn about volunteering and experience a volunteering opportunity with support as part of the Volunteering and Employability Skills course.
- There are no entry requirements
- Applicants should be able to show that they are ready to engage in learning at this level within a college environment
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Assessment is by a range of practical activities
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Applicants will be invited to attend a meeting with course staff to discuss their learning and support needs and to plan which options they wish to take.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Select further courses in the programme
- Apply for a different college course
- Further learning out with college
- Most students will progress to other learning options in this programme
- The course can be up to 5 days per week with different course options in the mornings and the afternoons.
- Please write in your personal statement in the online application the subjects you wish to take.
Course Cost And Funding Options