Textiles HND is an immersive and experimental course designed for you to explore your creative potential. Delve into a wide range of textile skills and enhance your knowledge of the arts industry in Edinburgh College school of art open-plan studios. Your studies will be varied ensuring you will experience all the areas needed to follow a career in the fashion and textiles industry; whether this is working as a designer, an artist or a craftsperson.
You will produce a personal portfolio to showcase your work which will be essential for university applications and be given your very own studio space in the second year of the course to design, develop and create. Live projects throughout the course will give you the opportunity to interact with clients in order to understand, redefine and execute project briefs. HND students will have the opportunity to exhibit their work in prestigious galleries for the general public, industry professionals and future colleagues to view.
- Concept Fashion Design
- Simple Pattern Drafting
- Garment Construction
- Surface Decoration
- Textile Techniques
- Fine Art Textiles
- Textile Accessory
- Printed Textiles and Millinery
- Year one: Two Highers or UAL level 2/3 or Foundation Diploma or SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year two: Pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level
- You must submit a portfolio that demonstrates your advanced art and design skills and an understanding of the creative process
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- This a practical studio-based course assessed by portfolio submission throughout the year.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your online application form.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Recognised entry to second and third year Scottish 4 year Degree, for example
- ECA Second-year entry
- Grays School of Art
- Napier and Abertay
- Recognised second-year entry to R.U.K 3 year Degrees
- BA (Hons) Fine Art Textiles, year 3 or BA (Hons) Contemporary Textiles programmes, year 3 entry at University of Highlands and Islands
- Various jobs in the retail industry
- Various jobs in marketing fields
Course Cost And Funding Options
HND Textiles student Catherine Walinck tells us of her creative process and experiences at Edinburgh College school of art.
“Fate brought me here due to my daughter having an interview at the college. Little did I know I would be signing away the next three years of my life. I have been sewing since I was 10 and never thought that I would be studying textiles after 20 years of pen pushing. I enjoy the freedom to express myself and appreciate the help and encouragement I have received.
I would like to remain in a creative environment after this course until I can decide on what I would like to be when I grow up!”
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...