The University of the Arts London Level 2 Diploma in Art and Design (Fashion and Textiles) is designed to build on the skills knowledge and understanding acquired at School or previous experience to provide an opportunity to explore develop and test your creativity specifically within Fashion and Textiles.
The qualification structure provides a sound base of skills and knowledge will enhance self confidence and impart an understanding of the career demands and opportunities within art and design. If you are an entry-level college learner who is interested in developing a portfolio for applications onto more advanced level courses in Fashion and Textiles this course is ideal.
You will study a wide range of different specialities and the course is structured to allow you to develop your interests while being introduced to new specialist Fashion and Textiles techniques. It`s the perfect preparation whether you`re a school leaver or more mature student to develop and explore ideas materials and visual imagery through the use of drawing sketchbooks and relevant Textile media and materials. It will allow you to widen your knowledge and understanding of the creative process. You`ll put your learning into context by researching relevant Designers. The course also offers you the rewarding opportunity of exhibiting your final major project in an end of year show
- An introductory experience to some of the materials methods processes and technical skills that support Fashion and Textile activity An introductory understanding of the context in which Fashion and Textile activity is located An opportunity to test student interest in Fashion and Textile activities Development of an awareness of the value of research to support Fashion and Textile activity.
- An introduction to drawing skills necessary to support creative activity in Fashion and Textiles Development of an understanding of the role of communication skills in the development of ideas An opportunity to to use the knowledge understanding and skills developed in previous units to identify research and produce a personal Fashion and Textile project.
- Present personal project work in the end of year Diploma Exhibition
- Four National 4’s including Art and Design and English (or equivalent)
- You must submit a portfolio of practical artwork that demonstrates creative potential in sketchbooks and larger scale imagery
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Continual assessment of Fashion and Textile work
- You will gain an overall final grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your online application form.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- UAL Level 3 Diploma UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- HND Textiles
- Other specialist HNC/D qualifications within Art and Design
- Employment at a junior level within the creative industries
Course Cost And Funding Options
Niamh Curran has been named Star Creative Student at the Marketing Society Star Awards.
Twenty-year-old Niamh beat off stiff competition from other college and university students across Scotland to be crowned the winner. After wowing the panel with her design work, Niamh headed along to the awards ceremony with Edinburgh College lecturers Helena Good and Chris Hughes, where she was announced as the winner and presented with the award by sponsor The Union marketing agency.
As a result of the award, Niamh will do a paid work placement with The Union marketing agency in the summer. Niamh said:
“I couldn’t believe it when I was shortlisted for this award. The project is unique because you have to initially do a written submission and, after being told I was horrendous at English in school and getting an F in my English exam, it was such a surprise that my written submission was shortlisted.”
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...