The University of the Arts London Awarding Body Foundation Diploma in Art and Design is a steppingstone between lower level or high school study to a specialist art and design education. This course is designed for progression into further study courses at HND or university level or employment within the arts industry. The course has an articulation agreement with The Glasgow School of Art for two guaranteed places into second-year Sculpture and Environmental Art and strong progression into second year Degree study across Scotland.
During this course, you will develop your confidence and independent learning in the four main specialist areas used in contemporary art and design practice. You will explore and evaluate different art and design mediums and develop a critical awareness of the contemporary visual world. You will complete challenging assignments within deadlines and attend weekly critical and contextual studies. The course will encourage your creative development through innovative and inspiring teaching. You will be taught by experienced, successful and professional lecturers in Edinburgh College art studios. This course will finish with your final major project which can be displayed at our end of year show.
This year our UAL Foundation students have received offers to all eight of our specialist HNDs in Art and Design. Below is a small selection of some of the offers received from our UAL Foundation students this year to Degree level study across the UK, with many of our UAL Foundation students receiving multiple offers.
- BDes Hons Product Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BDes Hons Interior Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Sculpture and Environmental Art at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Sculpture at Edinburgh College of Art UoE
- BA Hons Painting at Edinburgh College of Art UoE
- BA Hons Art and Philosophy at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design
- BA Hons Fine Art at Central St Martins UAL
- BA Hons Fine Art at Camberwell College of Arts UAL
- BA Hons Communication Design at The Glasgow School of Art
- BA Hons Contemporary Art Practice Grays School of Art RGU
- BA Hons Hair and Make-up for Fashion at London College of Fashion UAL
- BDes Hons Interior and Spatial Design Edinburgh Napier University
- Learning Skills and Context: The importance of drawing in the creative process and introduction to specialist areas of art and design
- Development and Progression: Students specialise in two of the areas whilst preparing for UCAS applications
- Proposal and Realisation
- Final Major Project in one of the four chosen art and design specialisms
- London Study trip – this trip is not mandatory but is highly encouraged and valuable to your learning
- Diploma exhibition
- Minimum of 1 Higher plus 4 passes at SCQF Level 5 or BTEC /UAL Level 3 Diploma or NC SCQF Level 6. Entry to this course will be determined by portfolio submission and entry requirements stated. Your application will be considered on an individual basis
- Adult learners with relevant employment/life experience/skills will be considered for entry to this course
English Proficiency Requirements
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your online application form.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- You will gain UCAS points (Pass 80 Merit 96 Distinction112) for university applications allowing you to apply for entry to Year 2 at Scottish art colleges
- Your portfolio will support applications to specialist HND in Art and Design as well as second year degree level study through UCAS
- Second year entry into The Glasgow School of Art Sculpture and Environmental Art
- Progress straight into employment within the art and design sector at an intermediary level
Course Cost And Funding Options
Edinburgh College student, Dan WJ Prasad, tells us of his time at Edinburgh College and his progression onto an MA in menswear
“I obtained an MA in menswear from the prestigious Royal College of Art in where I developed and worked very closely with a tailoring house in Italy. My final collection was produced by the last standing menswear couture house “Brioni” now owned by the Kering Group.
Prior to entering R.C.A I was successful in gaining direct level entry into year two of BA Fashion Design at Edinburgh College of Art after studying in the Art and Design department at Edinburgh College; this was possibly the most important part of my education. I spent three years at Edinburgh College firstly studying the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design before progressing onto the HND in Textiles. My aim at Edinburgh College was to build an exciting portfolio and gain the knowledge and experience to successfully enter art college.”
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...