The University of the Arts London (UAL) Level 2 Diploma in Art and Design is designed to build on the skills, knowledge and understanding acquired at School or previous study. During this course, your creativity will be explored, developed and tested. This course will encourage you to build a personal portfolio that can be used to apply for further study or a job in the arts sector.
The qualification structure provides a sound base of skills and knowledge that will enhance your self-confidence and understanding of career demands and opportunities within the art sector. This course will encourage you to build a personal portfolio that can be used to apply for further study or a job in the arts industry.
This is a practical studio-based course where you will study a wide range of different specialities. This course is suited to school-leavers or mature students looking to develop skills in drawing using sketchbooks and to gain a better understanding of the creative process. You will research famous designers and take inspiration from their work. This course will finish with your final major project which can be displayed at our end of year show.
- An introductory experience to some of the materials, methods, processes and technical skills that support art and design activity
- An introductory understanding of the context in which art and design activity is located
- An opportunity to test student interest in art and design activities
- Development of an awareness of the value of research to support art and design activity
- An introduction to drawing skills necessary to support creative activity in art and design
- Development of an understanding of the role of communication skills in the development of ideas
- An opportunity to use the knowledge understanding and skills developed in previous units to identify research and produce a personal art and design project
- Present personal project work at the end of year Diploma Exhibition
- Four National 4’s including Art and Design and English (or equivalent)
- You must submit a portfolio of practical artwork that demonstrates creative potential
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Continual assessment of Art and Design work
- You will gain an overall final grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your online application form.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- UAL Level 3 Diploma
- UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- Specialist HNC/D qualifications within Art and Design
- Employment at a junior level within the creative industries
Niamh Curran has been named Star Creative Student at the Marketing Society Star Awards.
Twenty-year-old Niamh beat off stiff competition from other college and university students across Scotland to be crowned the winner. After wowing the panel with her design work, Niamh headed along to the awards ceremony with Edinburgh College lecturers Helena Good and Chris Hughes, where she was announced as the winner and presented with the award by sponsor The Union marketing agency.
As a result of the award, Niamh will do a paid work placement with The Union marketing agency in the summer. Niamh said:
I could not believe it when I was shortlisted for this award. The project is unique because you have to initially do a written submission and, after being told I was horrendous at English in school and getting an F in my English exam, it was such a surprise that my written submission was shortlisted.