User Experience Design is the forefront in emerging creative industries. On this immersive course you will use cutting-edge and interactive technology. This course is a step towards a fulfilling, creative and successful career as an interaction designer, visual designer, user researcher, or user experience specialist.
You will exercise your creative potential through learning subjects in websites, apps, digital publications, experiential spaces and motion graphics. Your designs will be brought to life through visual and creative development workshops in our open-plan studios. Edinburgh College’s school of art offers largely project-based units which will give you the flexibility to explore your individual skillset. This course includes training in Adobe Suite and a study trip to Berlin.
We have an Education Network Membership with D&AD and our students regularly enter and win national and international design awards. Live project will allow you to interact with clients in order to understand, redefine and execute project briefs. Edinburgh is a creative hub and it is a gift to study art and design in such a cultured city. HND students will have the opportunity to exhibit their work in prestigious galleries for the general public, industry professionals and future colleagues to view.
- Visual Communication Introduction
- Working in the Field of Visual Communication
- Art & Design Context
- Art & Design Project
- Typography Introduction
- 2D Computer Animation
- Web Design
- Digital Imaging
- New Media
- Creative Project for Artists & Designers
- Graded Unit 1
- Information Graphics Advanced
- Web Design Project
- Digital Imaging Project
- Compositing for Motion Graphics
- Advanced Compositing for Motion Graphics
- Design Production
- Creative Arts Project (Development)
- Creative Arts Project (Production)
- Preparing for a Role in the Field of Visual Communication
- Portfolio Production
- Graded Unit 2
- Year one: Two Highers or relevant Btec or UAL level 2/3 or Foundation Diploma or SQA NC at SCQF Level 6
- Year two: pass all 15 credits available at HNC Level
- You must submit a portfolio that demonstrates your advanced art and design skills and an understanding of the creative process
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Assessment is through practical projects where students tackle a range of client-initiated briefs, design competitions, and studio projects
- The curriculum mixes research, problem-solving and teamwork skills with theory and practice in digital and experiential design
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- All applicants are required to submit a Digital Portfolio and attend an Applicant Session.
- Information on Digital Portfolios and Applicant Sessions will be sent to you after completing your online application form.
Progression And Articulation Routes
Recognised entry to second and third year Scottish 4 year Degree, for example
- ECA Second-year entry
- Grays School of Art
- Napier and Abertay
- Recognised second-year entry to R.U.K 3 year Degrees
- Work in a variety of design environments
- This course will also allow graduates to apply for junior positions and internships across the Creative Industries
Course Cost And Funding Options
HND User Experience student Daria Boniek tells us of his creative process and experiences at Edinburgh College school of art.
“Moving to Scotland played a huge part in finding my passion for arts. It all began when I first started school with zero ability to speak English. Art and design as well as photography became my new language that allowed me to express myself without words. Edinburgh College showed me how much more there is to art and that it is all about hard work and passion. I am still learning all about that and searching for my style in this crazy industry.”
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...