Outside Broadcasting in Multi-Camera Production is an innovative course designed to build your skills and push your potential in this competitive industry. Explore professional training in subjects such as; Rigging Camera Operation, Vision Mixing, Sound Mixing and Multi-Camera shoots. You will work in Edinburgh College’s TV studio and out on location using vision mixing equipment to film, direct and stream sports, music, drama and dance events. Edinburgh College has state-of-the-art equipment and you will have access to top-of-the-range cameras, microphones and recording kit.
During this course you will gain skills in rigging, cabling and live-action replay operation. You will develop your knowledge of live streaming using cameras out in the field for commercial clients, most of which will be paid work. This course will enable you to gain valuable work experience as you work as part of a team in a live broadcasting environment. Here you will develop essential industry connections and respond to the needs of the client as you plan and prepare for each event.
Upon completion of the course you will be trained in industry equipment and have the knowledge and qualifications needed to progress into further study at university level, or to a job within the creative industries. This qualification is recognised by the broadcast industry and was designed by SQA with the host broadcaster for the Commonwealth Games 2014. This qualification, alongside work experience and technical and practical guidance from College lecturers, will provide you with work experience and transferable skills. These will be essential when working in the broadcasting and TV production industry in Scotland and beyond.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the roles, responsibilities and discipline required in outside broadcasting
- Develop specialist health and safety awareness and understanding
- Provide opportunities to develop advanced skills in outside broadcasting including camera operations, Multiple Channel vision mixing and live-action replay
Edinburgh College has industry connections that can lead to part-time work alongside your studies. You will have the opportunity to work with crews on live outside broadcast on events with BBC, and Scottish Gymnastics, SMRC, SWPL (Scottish women’s football).
- HND Creative Industries: Television or another relevant qualification at SCQF Level 8
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through both practical and written assignments
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview to assess your interest in the course and your level
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Progression to third year of a relevant university degree programme
- Outside broadcast edit assistant/logger
- Outside broadcast camera assistant
- Outside broadcast sound assistant
- Outside broadcast production assistant
- Outside broadcast runner
- 2 early evening classes per week throughout the academic year. Working on location when required as a crew member
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £495 Sighthill part-time (year 1)
Several students from this course have progressed onto crewing for sports events across Scotland for SMRC, BBC, SWPL
This course will start on…
This course will end on...