This course is ideal if you’re looking to develop a career requiring a practical knowledge of the Sciences. You’ll study each of the main branches of Science: Chemistry, Physics and Biology as well as undertaking specialist units to increase your lab skills. After successful completion of semester 1, you can choose two-course routes: physics with chemistry or biology with chemistry.
PLEASE STATE WHICH ROUTE OF STUDY YOU ARE INTERESTED IN UNDERTAKING WHEN COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION.
The course is designed to be both sufficiently varied and in-depth to allow you to progress onto university studies, as well as preparing you for employment that relies on a knowledge of applied sciences. To progress to university you may also need to gain an additional Science Higher and have gained National 5 Mathematics.
You are advised to research your university choices early to ensure you apply for the correct complement of courses.
- Maths and Statistics
- Lab Skills
Depending on your choice of route after successful completion of semester 1, you will either study additional biology or physics units.
- To study the Biology/Chemistry route you must have achieved a pass in Higher Chemistry and Higher Biology or Human Biology with a minimum of a C grade
- To study the Physics/Chemistry route you must have achieved a pass in Higher Chemistry and Higher Physics with a minimum of a C grade
- Applied Science NC Level 6 is acceptable for entry
- C grade passes at National 5 Maths and English
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Ongoing assessment and final year graded unit.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Progress onto Applied Sciences HND or Year 1/2 at university on a range of science-related courses.
- Progress to Heriot Watt University to do all BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences Degrees
- Employment as a lab technician may be possible.
Course Cost And Funding Options