Civil Engineering HNC is a one year full time option or two year day release course (a system of allowing employees days off work to go on educational courses). This course is designed to teach you the essential skills necessary for the role of an Civil Engineer.
The Full time will mean attending Edinburgh Colleges Granton campus three days per week over one academic year.
The day release will mean attending Edinburgh College’s Granton campus one day per week over two academic years whilst employed within the construction industry.
There will also be a number of sessions that will be delivered remotely via Microsoft Teams.
COVID impacts on the current delivery and presently all course materials and delivery is on line.
This course will teach you the skills needed for a technical role in civil engineering. This course will give you the knowledge and ambition to design and build the bridges, roads, railways and tunnels of tomorrow. You will acquire knowledge of the latest construction practices by covering a diverse selection of industry skills such as structural analysis, design and geotechnical engineering. This course will encourage career progression and enhance your career prospects.
- Contract and Project Management
- Fluid Mechanics
- Material and Testing
- Construction Site Surveying
- Construction Technology: Substructure
- Mathematics for Construction
- Structural Mechanics
- HNC Civil Engineering Graded Unit 1
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- One pass at Higher Level C or above in Mathematics or Physics
- If you are a mature applicant you will be considered on an individual basis
- A pass at National 5 Mathematics or equivalent
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be continually assessed throughout the course
- You will be tested on your theoretical and practical skills
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Progress onto a university degree course
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering at University of the Highlands and Islands
- Civil engineering technician
- This course can lead to a promotion or employment as a supervisor or in management
- One day per week day release
- Three days Full time
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £661 Granton part-time (year 2)Fee: £801 Granton part-time (year 1)
We caught up with former Edinburgh College civil engineering modern apprentice Keir Stanton, who worked on the construction of the new Queensferry Crossing bridge.
“Working on the bridge is a huge achievement and, now that it is finished, you can see the scale and the excitement in the media that it is opening. I feel proud to have been part of a great project with amazing people and to have attained knowledge, experiences and stories that will stay with me for a very long time. Driving over the bridge will be exciting, getting to see how everything has come together. But it is extra special when you know, firsthand, just how much hard work has gone into the construction.”
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will start on…
- Group A - Granton Campus - Monday 31st August at 8:30 AM (2021)
This course will end on...
This course will end on...