THIS COURSE IS FOR SENIOR PHASE PUPILS WHO ARE STILL AT SCHOOL
TQUK Level 2 Certificate in Design Engineer Construct (DEC): The Digital Built Environment
This is an accredited programme supported by industry leaders & professional bodies which has been developed to inspire and create the next generation of Built Environment Professionals and provides embedded opportunities to develop the essential skills to embark on a successful professional or technical career.
DEC2 offers a new and innovative project based approach to learning that applies pure academic subject to the latest construction and industry practices. Learners will develop knowledge and skills by undertaking a sustainable building project and, through workshops, have guaranteed face to face engagement with industry professionals.
As a fundamental part of the curriculum programme, students undertake workshops led by industry professionals. Learners develop, design, deliver and evaluate a fit for purpose, functional building. Their building should be highly sustainable and inclusive to be used by the local community. Building types, they might consider are:
- a community health centre
- a scout and guide hut
- a nursery/child care centre
- a community sports centre
There are many opportunities for cross-curricular learning including explicit opportunities for Maths, English and Science as well as for other aspects of the wider curriculum such as Citizenship and PSE.
- Defining a sustainable construction project
- Developing a sustainable construction project
- Delivering a sustainable construction project
- Evaluating a sustainable construction project
Learners are empowered to take ownership of their own project, focusing on a justifiable need for a community. We recommend they are also given the opportunity to liaise with their client the local community itself - through the involvement of learners families, teachers and governors.
Where possible, we recommend learners are given access to professional volunteers e.g. through the Class Of Your Own Adopt A School scheme and Professional Body outreach programmes.
- Design Engineer Construct (DEC) level 1 and Two National 5s from English, Maths, Science or Graphic Communications
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
The qualification is assessed by a combination of:
• An internally assessed and externally moderated portfolio (50%)
• An externally set and externally marked examination (50%)
The externally set and marked exams will take place on a date published in advance by TQUK.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- On successful completion of this programme, pupils can apply to college for:
- DEC Level 3; HND Architectural Technology year 1 or HND Civil Engineering year 1, provided the qualification is supported by a Maths grade A-C higher qualification.
- Successful applicants may also be able access university with associated Highers
- Civil, Structural and Building Services Engineering
- Construction Project Management
- Quantity Surveying and Cost Management
- Architecture and Architectural Technology
- Geospatial and Property Surveying
- Tuesday and Thursday in line with SCP