French Advanced Higher is designed to develop your knowledge and skills in the French language. You will be exposed to the language over a length of time in order to acquire greater fluency, flexibility and accuracy. This course will expand on what you have previously studied and focus on developing your ability to understand and express ideas and opinions in French as you learn about current affairs and issues from the viewpoint of those living in other countries than your own. The course will improve your ability to read, listen, talk and write in French. You will develop valuable translation skills and be in a great position to study the language further at a university level.
- Develop Skills in Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking within the four Contexts of Society; Learning, Employability and Culture
- Translation Skills
- Essay Writing Skills and Analytical Skills
- Higher French or relevant component units or other SQA qualifications in French studied at SCQF Level 6
- You can apply with equivalent qualifications in French or if you have extensive experience in French
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through the Advanced Higher SQA exam, which takes place at College, usually in May. The speaking component is also assessed at College, but earlier in the year (usually in March).
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- An interview or test may be required if you have an equivalent qualification or experience in French
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Further study in modern languages or related areas
- This course alongside other qualifications can be used to apply for a variety of university courses
With further study you gain employment in the following:
- Tourism officer
- International relations
- International business
- This course runs for a total of 36 weeks.
- Tuesday and/or Thursday afternoon, digital classroom (using Microsoft Teams).
- Open learning - Moodle self-study and scheduled Teams calls, possible access to digital classrooms if compatible with the timetable
Course Cost And Funding Options