This course requires no prior knowledge of French and provides you with a good starting point to learn the fundamentals of the language to communicate at a basic level. Discover the pleasure of learning another language, take your first step towards further education or start a new hobby. You will be taught by highly experienced and patient Edinburgh College lecturers and learn conversational French which can be used when visiting French speaking countries.
- Talking about yourself, family and friends, your home environment, daily routines and leisure activities
- Learn how to order food and drinks
- Giving and asking for directions
- Reading, writing and listening
- There are no formal entry requirements
- This is a beginner's course and we will discuss your previous experience of language learning as part of the application process
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be informally tested throughout the course.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Further language courses at Level 4 and above
With further study you gain employment in the following:
- Tourism officer
- International relations
- International business
- The morning course runs once a week on Tuesdays from 9am-11am
- The evening course runs once a week on Thursdays from 6:30pm-8:30pm
- This course runs for a total of 15 weeks
Course Cost And Funding Options
Rory Whyte is 29 years old and lives in Dundee. Rory decided to come to Edinburgh College as it was the closest college to him that offered the Highers he needs to go to university. After a successful year, Rory was awarded the Student of the Year Travel, Tourism & Modern Languages Award at this year’s Prize Giving ceremony. We caught up with him and asked about his experience at Edinburgh College.
“I’ve worked extremely hard this year and it means a lot that the College has taken notice. Nowhere in Dundee offered Higher Spanish outside of High School, and I needed an A at Higher for my university application. I did look at other options but, ultimately, I was attracted by Edinburgh’s reputation and facilities.
Thanks to the kind recommendation on the part of my Spanish tutor at the College, I’ve been lucky enough to receive a conditional offer to study Interpreting with French and Spanish at Heriot-Watt University. Languages have become my passion, and interpreting has been my goal since returning to education.”
Read more of our student stories here.