The Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) is a professional qualification offered by the Chartered Institute of Linguists London. It is ideal if you are a bilingual person working or wishing to work as an interpreter and/or translator in the public services. The course is SCQF Level 10 and will be delivered through a blended learning model of online and face-to-face teaching. You will gain valuable translation and interpretation skills through role-plays and written and oral translation practice in presentations. You will attend guest lectures from the best in the translation business and have the chance to discuss your future career ambitions. Upon successful completion of the course and final exams, you will gain the Chartered Institute of Linguists Diploma (CIOL).
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE PRESENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS ONLY FOR POLISH AND SPANISH as we have DPSI lecturers for those languages only.
You may be eligible to receive a part-time fee grant from SAAS. For more information, use our Funding Tool (See below).
- Consecutive and simultaneous interpreting from and into English and your other language
- Principles and practice of interpreting and translation
- You should be fluent in English and one other language
- Once you have applied, a secondary application form will be sent to you along with a brochure giving you further information
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- External Chartered Institute of Linguistics exams at end of course
- Students must apply for and register for exams via the Institute. http://www.ciol.org.uk - fees section
- Exams are held on the Sighthill campus every June.
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- A secondary application must be completed and interviews may be held depending on your language qualifications and personal statement
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Apply for inclusion on the National Register of Public Service Interpreting
- Gain employment as a qualified Community Interpreter
- Attendance once per fortnight plus online learning and Skype calls
Course Cost And Funding Options
Fee: £755 Sighthill open-learning (year 1)
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...