Spanish Advanced Higher is designed to develop your knowledge and skills in the Spanish language. You will be exposed to the language over a length of time in order to acquire greater fluency, flexibility and accuracy. This course will expand on what you have previously studied and focus on developing your ability to understand and express ideas and opinions in Spanish as you learn about current affairs and issues from the viewpoint of those living in other countries than your own. The course will improve your ability to read, listen, talk and write in Spanish. Grammar aspects will be studied and you will research and analyse at least two literature or media sources of your choice within the context of the Spanish language and produce a portfolio, consisting of one piece of writing in English of between 1,200 and 1,500 words. You will develop valuable translation skills and be in a great position to study the language further at a university level.
- Develop Skills in Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking within the four Contexts of Society; Learning, Employability and Culture
- Translation Skills
- Essay Writing Skills and Analytical Skills
- Higher Spanish course or relevant component units
- Other SQA qualifications in Spanish studied at SCQF Level 6
- If you do not meet these requirements your application will still be considered on an individual basis
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- You will be assessed through the Advanced Higher SQA exam, which takes place at College, usually in May. The speaking component is also assessed at College, but earlier in the year (usually in March).
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- Interview and test may be required if you have achieved equivalent of a Higher Spanish qualification
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Further studies in Modern Languages
- This course alongside other qualifications can be used to apply for a variety of university courses
With further study you gain employment in the following:
- Tourism officer
- International relations
- International business
- This course runs for a total of 36 weeks.
- Tuesday and/or Thursday afternoon, digital classroom (using Microsoft Teams).
- Open learning - Moodle self-study and scheduled Microsoft Teams calls, possible access to digital classrooms if compatible with the timetable
Course Cost And Funding Options
Rory Whyte is 29 years old and lives in Dundee. Rory decided to come to Edinburgh College as it was the closest college to him that offered the Highers he needs to go to university. After a successful year, Rory was awarded the Student of the Year Travel, Tourism & Modern Languages Award at this year’s Prize Giving ceremony. We caught up with him and asked about his experience at Edinburgh College.
“I feel honoured. I’ve worked extremely hard this year and it means a lot that the college has taken notice. Nowhere in Dundee offered Higher Spanish outside of High School, and I needed an A at Higher for my university application. I did look at other options but, ultimately, I was attracted by Edinburgh’s reputation and facilities.
Thanks to the kind recommendation on the part of my Spanish tutor at the College, I’ve been lucky enough to receive a conditional offer to study Interpreting with Spanish and Spanish at Heriot-Watt University. Languages have become my passion, and interpreting has been my goal since returning to education.”
Read more of our student stories here.