This course is an introduction to all the main areas of computing to build up your skills and help you find what you have a natural flare for and enjoy.
No matter where you choose to specialise in computing, the skills from this course are applicable to any job in the tech sector, as well as many other jobs in world today because digital and technology skills are in high demand accross all sectors.
The course covers Cyber Secruity essentials which we deliver as a CISCO certificate. For those not familiar with CISCO it is the worlds most prominent IT infrastructure brand and a household name to all tech companies globally, it is the Microsoft of infrastructure.
Alongside Cyber Security, you will learn basic Web development skills, Computer Networking skills and Software Development.
The uderlying core of the whole course is Data Science. Data science is the fastest growing tech employment market, with demand outstripping the skills pipeline.
Data Science and Data analysis skills are highly sought after in all employment sectors but especially tech. The world is now heavily dependent on Data for diagnosis, medicine supporting communities, innovation, marketing and advertising and the list goes on. Any employer will be pleased to see such a qualificaion on a CV.
If you choose Cyber Security as your future route then you will be securing both physical infrastructurre and Wi-FI, which is where the Netowrking skills will come in. You will also be securing websites and apps from malicious attacks and malware, so knowing how to code is essential on both fronts and an appreciation for web development is a great addition that few people studying in this area have.
If you are choosing to go in to Web and Software next, then you need to have an awareness of Cyber secuutiy in order to build safe and secure websites and Apps. It's a rare combination to have the Networking knowledge to accompany these skills and to know how your websites are delivered to the end user and the infrastructure that allows people internet access in their homes. This mix of skills makes you more employable and a greater assett to any business or your own business. Being your own tech support to keep you and your customers connected to the internet is invaluable and a competetive edge.
Working as part of any company in 2021 requires all employees to be Cyber aware and actively fight the threats and so the course is iedal no matter what you choose to study next.
This course is designed to give you the foundation knowledge and the step up you need to start your degree route.
- Cyber Security ( CISCO Certification)
- Computer Architecture
- Computer Networking
- Software Development
- Web Development
- Web Graphics and basic Digital media skills
- Data Science ( NPA qualification)
- 4 National 4, C grade passes or equivalent, preferably including Computing and maths.
- You will need to have the equivalent of national 4 level mathematics, if you don't have this formal qualification, this can be assessed from the screening activity at interview.
- Adults and those that are not just leaving school are welcomed and will need to sit a screening activity to assess your current knowledge level.
- This course can be accessed via progression from successful completion of a relevant Edinburgh College course.
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- Through practical assessments and some multiple choice tests
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- At the interview, you will be asked to take part in a Skills and Experience screening exercise this will be on a computer.
- You should also bring along your certificates
- further course information will be provided by a lecturer on the course as well as an opportunity for you to ask questions.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- NPA Cyber Security, Networking and Forensics
- NPA Software Development and Web
- NPA Software Development and Digital Design
- Aproximately 3 days per week, but students should allocate additional time for activities to be completed outside of class time. We reccommend at least one extra day per week.
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...