CompTIA A+ is an industry-renowned qualification recognised by top companies such as Microsoft and CISCO as an A+ certification. This course will teach you how to diagnose computer problems, repair, configure and install computer hardware and operating systems. You will learn essential skills that will allow you to troubleshoot and upgrade personal computers.?This course is a great way to enhance your career prospects.
The course is an evening class with learning supported through hands-on practical exercises. The course runs every Thursday evening from?5:30pm-8:30pm each semester. This is a preparation course. On successful completion of the course you will be eligible for discount vouchers towards the cost of the two A+ exams which will mean a saving of £75 at current prices.
Semester 1 Aug-Jan
Semester 2 Jan-June
- Diagnose Computer Problems
- Computer Hardware
- Operating Systems
- Upgrading Personal Computers
- For school leavers: One National 5 in a numerate subject such as Mathematics, Computing or a Science
- For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The evening course includes an SQA certified unit in PC Hardware and Operating System Essentials
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- There will be an interview where you should bring along your qualification certificates
- The interview is an opportunity to meet the lecturer, hear about the course and ask any questions
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Sit the CompTIA A+ examinations - this certification is internationally recognized and will be beneficial when seeking a career in IT support and the computing industry
- 3D Printing evening course taught at Edinburgh College
- Robotics and Control systems
- CISCO Internet of Things?(IoT)
- Computing and Digital Media or NPA Cyber Security, Networking and Forensics taught at Edinburgh College
- CISCO Entry Networking Technician (CCENT) taught at Edinburgh College
- This is an ideal course for CPD for those already in employment that need to upskill on basic computing technology and troubleshooting computer issues
- Entry level IT technician and similar apprenticeships
- 1 evening per week (Thursday 5:30pm-8:30pm) for 16 weeks
Course Cost And Funding Options
Gabriella was a CompTIA A+ student. Upon completion of this evening class Gabriella was accepted onto the BEng Security and Forensics course. ?She successfully gained her HNC and is now studying towards the second year of her HND.
Read more of our student stories here.