Computer Games Development HND is an innovative course designed to give you an insight into various technologies and techniques used in the video games industry. Explore the full process of video games development; from planning and design right through to project management. You will cover a wide range of computer development techniques including 2D and 3D Animation, Programming and Games Design Theory.
This is a hands-on and practical course where you will work on real gaming projects and be given the creative freedom to develop computer games of your own. This will allow you to build a portfolio of work which you will need when applying for employment in the industry or further study. This course will allow progression into the 2nd or 3rd year of university study in games development, Games Design and Multimeida courses at several universities.
- Game Technology
- Structured Programming for Games
- Working in a Project Team
- Project Management for IT
- 2D Animation
- 3D Level Editing
- Interface Design
- Creating Graphics
- 3D Modelling and Animation
- Games Development: Object Oriented Programming
- Game Customisation and Scripting
- Software Development: Developing for the World Wide Web
- Software Development: Abstract Data Structures
- For school leavers: Three Highers at C pass one must be in Mathematics and one other numerate subject such as Computing or Physics
- For college learners: SCQF Level 6 course pass and a good level of Mathematics which can be tested at interview
- For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you
English Proficiency Requirements
- IELTS 6.0 and Ideally no component below 5
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed on your practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and tests
- The Graded Unit for both years will be a practical game-based project
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You should bring along any qualification certificates you have to interview and, if possible, a game you have created, or some software development programs you have written.
- You may be asked to perform a maths screening exercise to assess your skill level.
- You will be advised of the maths question types before hand so you can have time to prepare.
- During the interview course information will be provided by the lecturer who teaches on the course.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Access to the second or third year of various university degree courses such as at Edinburgh Napier University, Glasgow Caledonian University and Abertay University
- BSc (Hons) Computing, year 3 entry at University of Highlands and Islands
- Employment in the computer games industry
- Games developer
- 3 days per week class contact time (approximately).However the course is demanding and asignements and projets will be set for you to complete in your own time and so it is reccommended that you can dedicate 5 days per week to this course.
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...