Computer Games Software Development NC is designed to teach you all aspects of computer game development. You will learn fundamental skills in subjects such as Software Development, Animation, Design Graphics, Coding and the technology behind computer games.
The UK, and Scotland in particular, has built a strong computer games industry and is seen as a global leader in the sector. The industry is a major contributor to the UK economy with over £2billion worldwide sales in 2018. The industry is looking for job-ready graduates with specialist skills and a good understanding of the production processes, games software (animation and programming) as well as the soft skills needed to succeed in the industry.
This course covers everything you will need to progress on to further study of Computer Games Development at HND or university level. This course incorporates Higher Mathematics which is required for progression to HND or university-level study and thus Higher Mathematics will not need to be taken as a supplementary subject.
- Software Development
- About the Computer Games Industry
- Artificial Intelligence
- Interface Design
- Mobile Game Development
For school leavers: Six National 5’s at C pass with Mathematics at B level or equivalent, preferably one higher in a numerate subject or Computing
For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed on your practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and multiple-choice tests
- The Graded Unit for year one is an exam and for year two is a project
- Mathematics is a Higher Exam
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- At the interview, you will be asked to take part in a Maths skills and experience screening exercise if you don't have or are not sitting National 5 Maths. You can prepare for the screening using BBC Bitesize materials available free online for national 5 maths curriculum.
- Please bring along any qualification certificates
- Further course information will be provided by a lecturer on the course as well as an opportunity for you to ask questions
Progression And Articulation Routes
With a B in Higher Mathematics and a good portfolio from this course you can progress to:
- HND Computer Games Development taught at Edinburgh College
- Various university degrees in computer software
- HND Digital Design and Development taught at Edinburgh College
- HND Software Development taught at Edinburgh College
- HND Computer Science taught at Edinburgh College
- HND Web Development taught at Edinburgh College
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...