BEng Networks and Systems is an Associate Degree programme with Napier University, offering dual enrolment with both institutions and is a direct route to the third year of study in either BEng Networks and Systems or BEng Cyber Security and Forensics.
- This course offers the opportunity to go on placement in year 3.
- It runs at both Sighthill and Milton Road campuses
You will study the most important areas of networking cyber security and look at specialist areas of computer forensics such as ethical hacking. Computer Networking with security and forensics is one of the fastest developing branches of the new technologies industry. There is a huge demand in the industry for networking and cyber security professionals with starting salaries between £30,000-£50,000+.
During this course, you will develop an essential understanding of networking for home and networking for small business. You will learn about computer networking and be introduced to routing and switching in the enterprise as well as designing and supporting computer networks. Edinburgh College’s computing department and computing students consistently win competitions both nationally and internationally. This course is highly regarded and well-recognised in the industry and sought after by employers.
We teach a curriculum aligned to a variety of industry recognised vendor qualifications and can help you gain the knowledge to prepare to sit those certifications. Such as CISCO CCNA and CompTIA A+
To apply for Sighthill Campus
Year one and two – Edinburgh College
- Computer Networking Technologies
- Basic Software Development
- Computer Hardware and Software Installation Fundamentals
- Private Cloud Virtualisation
- Server Administration
- Data Science
- Digital Forensics
- Ethical Hacking
Year three and four – Edinburgh Napier University
Subjects may include:
- Society and Security
- Distributed Systems
- Advanced Security
- Digital Forensics
- This course offers the opportunity to go on placement in year 3
- For school leavers: Three Highers consisting of a B Pass in Computing, Mathematics or a Science and two other C Passes
- For college learners: SCQF Level 6 course in Computer Networking or Cyber Securit.
- For everyone else: All enquiries are welcome regardless of qualifications. Edinburgh College computing staff can assess where you can start or progress in your computing career and find the right course for you.
English Proficiency Requirements
- IELTS 6.0 and Ideally no component below 5
How the course is assessed
- The course is mainly assessed on your practical skills
- There will be some written assignments and multiple-choice tests
- The Graded Unit for year one is an exam and for year two is a project
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend an interview where you will be asked to complete a screening exercise online to assess your skills.
- During the interview, you will be given information on the course from a lecturer
- You may be invited for a further interview with a lecturer.
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Edinburgh Napier University BEng Networks and Systems
- Edinburgh Napier BEng Cyber Security and Forensics with AA grades
- Network Engineer
- If you take the test alongside your studies, CCNA certificate job roles will be open to you
- 3 days per week class contact time (approximately). However, the course is demanding and assignments and projects will be set for you to complete in your own time and so it is recommended that you can dedicate 5 days per week to this course.
Course Cost And Funding Options
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...