If you are looking to pursue a career in painting, decorating or a related construction occupation then the National Progression Award (NPA) in Painting and Decorating is for you. This award will provide you with the skills you need to enter the construction industry.
You will be encouraged to gain a work placement with an employer within the painting and decorating trade for the duration of this course. These opportunities will be supported by your College lecturers but are not mandatory. Practical work experience with an employer allows you to gain knowledge of the construction industry and will heighten your employability skills.
This course is taught between Edinburgh College classrooms and our workshops where you will gain essential, hands-on and real-life experience of the construction trade.
This course is a steppingstone towards an apprenticeship or employment as a painter or decorator which can lead to further learning of specialised skills or owning your own business. The course is based at Edinburgh College’s Granton campus.
- Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
- Technical Drawing
- Information Technology
- Decorative Painting and Finishes
- Carpentry and Joinery
- The Core Skills of ICT, Numeracy and Communication will be developed and certificated on this course
- Passes in National 4 English and Mathematics
English Proficiency Requirements
How the course is assessed
- The course is unit based and will be graded through SQA Assessment Strategy through continuous assessment in both practical skills and theory
Progression And Articulation Routes
- This course provides the underpinning knowledge required to continue onto further study of the construction trade
- Seek an apprenticeship within the industry
- 3 days per week over 36 weeks
Course Cost And Funding Options
Hardworking student and first-class painter and decorator, Jordan, believes there’s not much he hasn’t accomplished as he embarks on his third year at Edinburgh College on the Painting and Decorating Modern Apprenticeship. Juggling long hours in the College workshops alongside an on-site apprenticeship at his dad’s painting and decorating firm, Jordan strongly believes that the course was the right path for him.
Read more of our student stories here.
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...