This course will teach the language skills needed for moving into further study in the area of care or health. You will complete the SQA National 5 ESOL syllabus and develop general language skills in reading, listening, speaking, writing and work on your grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary. You will improve your ability to understand and produce spoken and written English in both every day and work contexts and will focus on the vocabulary required to talk about the human body. You will be introduced to the specialisms and professional values and principles when working in the care sector. You will develop workplace language and employability skills during a 2-week placement.
This course is bursary funded so you will not have to pay course fees and may be eligible for other bursary funding. You will be expected to buy the course materials as specified by your tutor (approximately £45). Please note these courses are for applicants whose first language is not English.
ESOL for Access to Care and Health Professions course information
- You will do a six-day work placement in the care sector in order to gain essential and hands-on experience in this workplace
- You should have a clear idea of your future study or work plans
English Proficiency Requirements
- ESOL Intermediate 1/National 4 SQA or above or equivalent
How the course is assessed
- This is a bursary course, and you are expected to attend 100% of the course
- There will be regular assessment tasks throughout the course to monitor your progress in the areas of ESOL
- The Prelim exam in February will prepare you for the final ESOL National 5 exam in May
- There will be a closed book assessment on the Human body
- You will also complete evidence in portfolio or presentation form for the Work Placement unit and values and principles of care
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements
- You will be invited to attend a test and interview where your language level and suitability for the course will be checked
Progression And Articulation Routes
- Progress to mainstream college courses at NC or HNC
- NQ English Plus Higher
- Further training or work in the care sector
Course Cost And Funding Options
Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...
This course will end on...